Assembly complete, a few words of appreciation

kungfoo · 3493

Offline kungfoo

on: August 07, 2013, 10:36:02 PM
So, I've built tube amps before, but everything so far has been guitar amps which are far from hifi.  ;D

Over the last few days I assembled the Reduction kit I pre-ordered and received about a week back. Well, what can I say?

WHAT A GREAT LITTLE PREAMP!
The manual is just great and as far as I can tell contains not a single error. With this great manual I guess anyone could build one of those (and maybe should :))

I expect that this thing needs some burn-in time but right off the bat, powering it up for the first time, it already sounded better than the pre I was previously using.
I had to go through and spin a few records. Modern vinyl like Muse's 2nd Law sounds awesome but interestingly it seems that older records like Keith Jarret's Belonging gain much more depth.

Here's a few questions I still have:
How long is the expected burn-in time for the caps and tubes to form? Does it have to run and be connected to something? Is there a need for music to be playing or can I just leave it running and go do something else? How many hours will the tubes last?

Cheers from Switzerland

Offline ffivaz

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:55:25 PM
Cool, someone else from Switzerland :)

As for me, I had a hiss with the "new" tubes, it disappeared with time (around 20 hours) and with changing one tube. I just listened to music to let them burn in, nothing else. For the caps, I don't really know, I did not hear any difference with time (I have around 200 hours on my Reduction now).

Cheers !

Fabien Fivaz

Thorens TD 160, Denon DL-110, Hagerman Piccolo 2, Reduction (w/ Integration), 2A3 Stereomour, Fostex FE126En in Bk12m enclosures
Halide DAC HD, Crack (w/ Speedball), Sennheiser HD 650

Offline kungfoo

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:02:12 AM
In case anyone wonders, I'm running with a Ortofon 2m Bronze cartridge on a mmf-5.1 with the old tonearm.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:30:36 AM
Ah, this is excellent, one of the new features of the Reduction is the availability of a 240V power transformer.

Burn in is roughly 100-200 hours, with the coupling capacitors benefiting from signal during burn in (but not necessarily the tubes).

We look forward to having some exciting news regarding the Reduction shortly!

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kungfoo

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 06:54:13 AM
Can the signal be any source (with low volume) or does it have to be a turntable?

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:25:39 AM
I think PB was a bit generous about the time it takes to break in the caps. They calm down a fair amount in 20 hours, a bit more at the 50 mark, and I haven't noticed much beyond that.  I burned mine in with radio static in two sessions of about a day each, listening in the middle.  The only reason I even really bothered was because I had a prototype I was supposed to give feedback on in a short time. If this had been a recreational build I would have just listened to it. Life is too short to spend it not listening to music.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:43:22 AM
I burned mine in with radio static

Was that radio static on an LP?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 04:57:12 PM
... Life is too short to spend it not listening to music.
Words to live by!

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 05:05:10 PM
Cant agree more with the above! Its all good! Its a relationship. Grows better with time....

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.