What are we buying these days?...

Chris · 61833

Offline Chris

Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 06:37:06 PM
No, keep the opinions going... This is what I want to find out. If the extra expense is worth it.. Or is vinyl still superior...

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 03:53:12 AM
Hey Mike - Not sure what you have tried with software upsample of redbook, on the laptop, before it gets to the DAC. I have even found that my 24/96 HD Tracts sound slightly better upsampled to 192khz. Its kind of voodo stuff, but it works!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 08:00:43 AM
Hey Eric,

Fair enough - time to play with the music software.

It's been a while since I compared (i) rips of 16/44.1 CD's to (ii) native 24/88.2 or 24/96 digital recordings formatted in AIFF (I use a Mac). 

I'll select automatic upsampling in Pure Music for sample rates under 88.2. (I think that's my default setting anyway.) Then its off to find a native high res download and compare it with the upsampled rip of the same album from redbook CD. I don't remember whether I own such doubles or not; have to look,

More later,

Mike 

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 11:13:02 AM
I think that analog has an effective sample rate of infinity.  As you approach that sample rate digital sounds more analog.   

Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:00:05 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 01:58:27 PM
Mike - the other thing about software algorithms is that there are some good sounding techniques that are worth experimenting with - not sure with the Mac, but if you can find software where you can play with the filters - the "minimum phase" filter sounds very nice. It called "apodizing" filter, and many upsampling DACs use them. Sox is also a good freeware DSP. I did most of my playing around with Foobar.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 02:31:41 PM
Today's delivery is an SACD of Leo Kottke's 6 And 12 String Guitar.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:00:46 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 02:51:25 PM
Hey Grainger,

Ever listen to John Fahey's Blind Joe Death?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 02:53:28 PM
I just received Woman Child by C

Aaron Johnson

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 03:36:21 PM
Im tryin to like Jazz. I have been for years. Its sinking in bit by bit. I know that I SHOULD like Jazz more than I do. There is some Jazz that I like. Mostly the psychedelic stuff from the 60's (Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, Dr. John, Weather Report, Stanley Clark, Al Di Miola, Billy Cobham, Sri Chinmoy, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, well you get the idea...

Eric

Offline Chris

Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 04:42:12 PM
Alright Great stuff.. Downhome, tell us what you find out.. And Grainger, I feel you are correct. It makes sense to me.. And that is what I want to know.. I think what I will do is buy vinyl when it is available as a first choice, and the rest digital downloads...

Offline Grainger49

Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 01:49:52 PM
Hey Grainger,

Never, is it like Kottke?  BTW, the Kottke was cheaper than the LP, brand new SACD.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:01:10 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 12:07:30 AM
Hey Grainger,

Never, is it like Kottke?  BTW, the Kottke was cheaper than the LP, brand new SACD.

Leo Kottke learned guitar from John Fahey. Fahey's playing is more sparse, and at times even spooky. He was a master.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 05:14:47 AM
Hi there,

I recently saw Cassandra Wilson at Ronnie Scotts in London. Was herr final performance and it was brilliant. Small jazz club, great atmosphere and very good music.

My last vinyl was Horace Silver The Tokyo blues 45 re-issue. Great sound, great music.

My latest CD purchase was Pat Matheney Unity Band. Just love this guy and have most of his music in my collection.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Chris

Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 12:38:34 AM
I am a fan of Norman Barratt (NOT Bates) from his christian stuff.. and I was on you tube and learned he was with a band Gravy Train.. I listened  to the 1970 release completely and man, it was good.. I will have to get it.. And in the days of clapton, beck, page etc.. There is some good guitar work on that album.. anybody a GT fan??. Take a listen... Go to You tube and type....Gravy Train 1970 (Full Album Listen).....They are an English (Lancashire) prog band... They even have a song about Syd... Maybe Norman is a relation.. their sound is a little like 60s Floyd....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:58:52 AM by Chris »

Offline Chris

Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 07:48:47 AM
Anybody familiar with the TRANS SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA??   if not, try to go this christmas season to their show... i dont think you will be disappointed , even if you are not a rocker... check them out on you tube.... tickets are on sale now , i believe....they play in like EVERY major and smaller major city in the US...