What are we buying these days?...

Chris · 61836

4krow

Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 08:01:20 AM
 I had a 45 RPM of Patricia Barber a few years ago. Don't recall the album. What I can't forget is the eeriness of the album! She was in my room and her breath smelled of liquor.
  G, I totally agree with the idea that analog is the highest sampling rat(rate, sorry). I use my analogy of comparing analog with shaving. If you use a blade, then that misses nothing. If you use an electric shaver, it 'samples' the hairs(some by pulling!) and cuts most of them.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 08:23:54 AM
I bought 2 or 3 of the Trans Siberian Orchestra CDs last Christmas.

More recently I bought Presenting The Ian Campbell Folk Group (LP), Russ Barrenburg Moving Pictures (CD & LP), Steeleye Span Time Span, And Richard Thompson Guitar Vocal.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:01:47 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paully

Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 10:15:14 AM
Here are some suggestions

Phosphorescent - Muchacho
The National - High Violet
Ryan Adams - Love is Hell

Offline Chris

Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 01:30:00 PM
Cool, keep 'em coming.. I am just saying the shows are bigger and better than ever according to the band... And this year, I believe they will be playing The Lost Christmas Eve for the last time and tickets are going on sale..Could be the time to go see them you guys.. I WOULD go every year if I lived in the US again...Just sayin' and I will hold forever hold my piece now.... :)

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 03:11:52 PM
Hey Eric,

Fair enough - time to play with the music software.

It's been a while since I compared (i) rips of 16/44.1 CD's to (ii) native 24/88.2 or 24/96 digital recordings formatted in AIFF (I use a Mac). 

I'll select automatic upsampling in Pure Music for sample rates under 88.2. (I think that's my default setting anyway.) Then its off to find a native high res download and compare it with the upsampled rip of the same album from redbook CD. I don't remember whether I own such doubles or not; have to look,

More later,

Mike

Hey Mike - update on the above -- I cant keep track of what is when in these posts. Sometimes the changes come fast. Anyway, JRiver upsampler is definately good. Easy to hear the A/B comparison. What I did though, is go back to my original upsample fav. Sox min phase, dither, allow alias, through foobar 16/44.1 to 24/192. Ok - now thats good. Huge files. Well worth it IMO. Whew... Out of breath.. Play those files NATIVE with JRiver. Now thats good...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 03:16:11 PM
Let me add one one thing for the nay-Sayers. Weiss Saricon 1.6 uses similar filters. Dont be afraid of aliasing at that sample rate.... Anyway off the topic...

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Chris

Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 02:00:16 AM
I agree about the "infinite sampling rate of vinyl"  concept also.. makes perfect sense to me....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:27:35 PM by Chris »

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 12:10:01 PM
I'll probably download The Clash - London Calling from HD tracks this weekend.

Offline Chris

Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 12:28:13 PM
Yeah, I saw that also..

Offline corndog71

Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 11:03:14 AM
I forgot there was a music forum here.  While my music tastes are all over the place, lately I've been finding some impressive young female artists.

Haim (HA-yim) - 3 sisters from a musical family with their debut album out called Days Are Gone.  Several of their songs keep getting stuck in my head lately.

Boy - 1 Swiss, 1 German, nice vocal tone and a catchy song.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:05:16 AM by corndog71 »

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Yoder

Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 12:25:23 PM
I had a 45 RPM of Patricia Barber a few years ago. Don't recall the album. What I can't forget is the eeriness of the album! She was in my room and her breath smelled of liquor.
  G, I totally agree with the idea that analog is the highest sampling rat(rate, sorry). I use my analogy of comparing analog with shaving. If you use a blade, then that misses nothing. If you use an electric shaver, it 'samples' the hairs(some by pulling!) and cuts most of them.

I listened to a CD of hers a couple of months ago and played it back at Redbook specs. The first thing that struck both my wife and myself was the clarity of the recording. The fact that it was a live recording made it even more mind boggling. Listening to it clearly illustrated the importance of the engineers in remastering or recording music. I have returned some hi-def recordings because the quality was so poor. Barber is a good baseline for what good studio engineering is.

Offline Tubejack

Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 07:08:10 AM
All on new 180 vinyl - someone needs to save me from Amazon 1-click .....

LADY                                         Lady
People, Hell, and Angels          Jimi Hendrix
Brothers and Sisters remix      Allman Brothers
Rythm & Blues                         Buddy Guy
It's a Beautiful Day reissue     It's a Beautiful Day
Recorded in Concert 1973       Van Morrison
Sound City                               Dave Grohl and Various Artists
Made Up Mind                         Tedeshi Trucks Band

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 07:56:35 AM
Bought Laura Mvula CD called Sing to the moon. Great voice, nicely recorded and plesantly unusual new music.

Enjoy

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Paully

Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 08:44:07 AM
That description made me think of the new album I just got from Feedbands by Amycanbe; "Mountain Whales".  It is well recorded, ethereal at points, and very engaging.  Looking forward to listening to it again.

Offline Evan

Reply #44 on: November 15, 2013, 07:52:22 PM
The CD that has most recently made me say, "WOW" is 'Side by Side' by Itzhak Perlman and Oscar Peterson. Enough so that I had to post about it here. It has quickly moved to near the top of my favorite jazz albums.

Stereomour => SEOS Fusion 12 Tempest

Crack => Senn HD600