• Test
Reply #45 on: November 16, 2013, 10:17:25 AM
I got to get that one...John

John Scanlon

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #46 on: November 16, 2013, 11:09:00 AM
Looking over my ebay and Amazon purchases for the past year, which is probably 80% of what I have acquired over that time:

John Stein - Bing Bang Boom!
Bireli Lagrene & Gypsy Project - Move
Jimmy McGriff & Groove Holmes - Come Together
John Lee Hooker - Mr. Lucky
John Mayer Trio - Try
John Hammond - Source Point
Guitar Shorty - Long and Short of it
Freddie King - Freddie King is a Blues Master
Larry Carlton - Sapphire Blue - i really like this one
Freddie King - 1934-1976
Ry Cooder - Boomer's Story
Otis Rush - Ain't Enough Comin' In
John Coltrane - John Coltrane Plays the blues
Grant Green - Born to be Blue
Jimmy Smith - Organ Grinder Swing - one of my all time faves
Papa John Defrancesco - Desert Heat
Bobby Floyd - Notes to and from my Friends
Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time
Oliver Nelson - Afro American Sketches
R.L. Burnside - Wish I was in Heaven Sittin' Down
Eric Bibb - Booker's Guitar
Jimmy McGriff - Straight Up
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Wynton Kelly Trio with Wes Montgomery - Smokin' at the Half Note - this one is great
Project Trio - Winter In June
Ronnie Earl - Grateful Heart - another great album
Keaton Simons - Exes and Whys

Oops almost left out Jacqui Naylor - Dead Diva's Society. Didn't get that one on ebay, got it from the source. I was there for the session, but earned no credit. My minor contribution was getting the slightly broken B3 to sound OK for the show. Oh and I set up the chairs for the audience. Somehow I always end up with that job while others run around with pieces of paper or cables in their hand, looking indispensable.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:19:35 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Evan

Reply #47 on: November 16, 2013, 12:30:22 PM
I'm definitely a fan of 'Smokin' at the Half Note'. Dan, you put up a great list of music for me to check out! Thanks

For something a little different, I really like the band 'Beirut'.

Stereomour => SEOS Fusion 12 Tempest

Crack => Senn HD600

Offline Chris

Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 07:19:33 PM
I am happy for I just saw on MOFIs site that they are offering Billy Joel on 45rpm, will DEFINITELY have to get Glass Houses.. and of course The Cars and Candy O for what???? 4th friggin time now... Getting a little tired of having to keep rebuying so many reissues... With  MoFi though, I know it will be the LAST time...

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 05:24:39 AM
Late last week, more jazz classics for the library:

Thelonious Monk Quintet - 5 By Monk By 5
Thelonious Monk Quartet - Misterioso
Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness

(I got a late start.)

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Paully

Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 07:16:00 AM
I am on an A.A. Bondy trip.  Now have all three of his albums.  They start out good and just keep getting better.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #51 on: December 10, 2013, 10:18:32 AM
I am on an A.A. Bondy trip.  Now have all three of his albums.  They start out good and just keep getting better.

Paully,

Who is A.A. Bondy?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Paully

Reply #52 on: December 10, 2013, 03:21:46 PM
This guy:

And the albums get better so might as well start here with the last one and see what you think and go from there.  Easy going good music (IMO) which is surprising given what I heard of him with his earlier band, Verbena.

Can't remember if I mentioned it before but if you like that one you might like Phosphorescent "Muchacho".  Don't bother with the vinyl on that one though, I can say with a fair amount of certainty.  Just get the CD if you like it.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #53 on: December 11, 2013, 12:17:35 AM
Nice. That tune sounds like a garage band cousin of Bon Iver's For Emma Forever Again.  I like it. Thanks.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Paully

Reply #54 on: December 11, 2013, 02:52:22 AM
Cool, I like Bon Iver's "For Emma" album.  Haven't been able to get into any of his other albums but that one is definitely in the same genre in my mind and a good one.

Offline Paully

Reply #55 on: February 06, 2014, 02:13:43 AM
Bought the Boxer Rebellion's "The Cold Still" a while ago and liked it well enough.  Was listening to it again and now love it.  Also, Feedbands put out another album I really like by the Sweep this month.  Mail order record of the month lp club like those of yore is going to be very hit and miss, but it is still fun and they are batting about 75% thus far for me at least! but I like Indie.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #56 on: February 06, 2014, 07:03:51 AM
My last purchase was "Hooverphonic With Orchestra live" and I am thinking about Gregory Porter's Liquid spirit album for my next purchase.

Self imposed limit of one new cd purchase per month.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #57 on: February 06, 2014, 07:51:00 AM
Gary Clark Jr "Blak and Blu" and "Crossroads Guitar Fest".  Both excellent.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paully

Reply #58 on: February 06, 2014, 11:11:42 AM
My last purchase was "Hooverphonic With Orchestra live" and I am thinking about Gregory Porter's Liquid spirit album for my next purchase.

Self imposed limit of one new cd purchase per month.

I ought to do something like that. Even if I keep buying a lot of records doing something like buying two at the end of two weeks and only on that day would force me to think about what it is I am buying and wait until that day. Point would really be no impulse buys. Hmmm, interesting thought.

Offline Yoder

Reply #59 on: February 07, 2014, 09:49:20 AM
Downloaded in the last week the following 192/24 albums:
Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" A must have for any audiophile...at least that is what the reviews say, and I have to agree. Willie Dixion and Buddy Guy join him on this all acoustic recording.

Charlie Byrd and Stan Getz "Jazz Samba" Another great album to listen to. Some great guitar and sax, as should be expected. Highly recommended.

Van Morrison "Astral Weeks" and "His Band and Street Choir" Being a die-hard Van fan, then these were must have albums that I do not have in any form yet. Of the two, I definitely prefer AW. AW seems to give a hint of where he is going and what is to be expected in what I thing is one of his best albums: "Veedon Fleece."

Zoe Keating "One Cello X 16" and "Into the Trees."  These are not 192/24 recordings. But, for $4 per downloaded album then one cannot go wrong. I love her style, and her music is very heady/soothing. If you are not familiar with Zoe Keating, then you should go to YouTube and search for her. You will find some videos where she shows how she records her music (a lot of looping via FruityLoops, and some great use of the computer.)