What are we buying these days?...

Chris · 61818

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #75 on: March 02, 2014, 02:10:04 PM
Yesterday I received an LP reissue of Bill Evans, Sunday At The Vanguard.

Didn't spin it yet.

Ah yes, one of my favorites. What are you waiting for?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #76 on: March 02, 2014, 02:16:06 PM
Jamie,

Try Skip, Hop & Wobble or Glide.  They are both Jerry Douglas CDs.  Not available on vinyl, sadly.

Offline Paully

Reply #77 on: March 02, 2014, 03:05:04 PM
The the - Dusk.  Last time I spend big bucks on an OP issue listed as VG+ from the 90s.  I have done this a couple of times, and gotten screwed 100% of the time.  Their idea of VG+ and my idea seem to be two very separate concepts.  And shipping it back to Europe makes it a rather large loss, so I guess I am stuck with it.  The more I listen to CDs...  Well, lets not start a CD vs vinyl discussion, we'll save that for the forums where people like to fight.  Needless to say, it is very disappointing.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #78 on: March 02, 2014, 03:31:12 PM
Paully, I'm finding more pleasure from CD's than I care to comment on. Reading your post made me smile though I feel for your situation.  I really wish BH would get that DAC to market :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paully

Reply #79 on: March 02, 2014, 04:04:34 PM
I am unreasonably obsessed with vinyl and sometimes I think the sellers must know that. 

Maybe one day I will wake up.  Don't count on it though.  Old issues which are overgraded and new issues cut from a CD file and yet I continue to buy.  I don't know...  Anyway, like I said, this conversation has the potential to degrade rapidly.  I will try to restrain myself.  I just love those big shiny discs.  I CANT STOP!

Ironically the Smiths song playing right now has a lyric "stop me if you have heard this one before".

Offline Yoder

Reply #80 on: March 03, 2014, 02:06:31 PM
I just returned from a week long stay in SFO. A friend of mine gave me a treasure trove of CDs. To the best of my counting abilities and estimation, he unloaded about 525 CDs on me. All of them are jazz, and there are a lot of albums that I did not know were even on CDs. Some of the non-remastered CDs are a little harsh...like listening to an old recording, but the majority are exceptional. That being said, I have a lot of jazz to listen to and don't think I will buy any more jazz for awhile. Now I can focus on classical, folk/blues, etc.

Fortunately, I flew South Western and was able to check in two free bags of luggage. My daughter had two huge suitcases that I filled with all of the CDs. Total weight was 47 pounds for one case, and 48 for the other. 95 pounds of music! How do you explain that to others? "Yea, I am selectively listening to my 95 pound jazz library addition!"

All of that being said, I shall not list my new additions. If I do run across an exceptional recording, then I will pass it along.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #81 on: March 05, 2014, 06:41:24 PM
When Dave Brubeck died there was lots of talk about the album "Time Out".  I thought I should probably get a copy. While doing some cleaning, I moved the couch and what was under it? "Time Out" I must have bought it and immediately lost it. 
Then, this summer I digitized all my CDs and realized that I did not have Miles Davis Kind of Blue.  I knew that this is considered the best jazz album ever, by many. I was sure I had it, and even recommended it to others looking to get a good jazz album.  I have a Hi-Rez copy now.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #82 on: March 11, 2014, 09:42:57 AM
Bought some cool new vinyl:

Ella Fitzgerald: Let No Man Write My Epitaph - 45RPM 200g (2LP)
Neil Young
Live At The Fillmore East - 180g
Greatest Hits

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline johnsonad

Reply #83 on: March 15, 2014, 12:40:20 PM
Last week:
Lorde, Pure Heronine
Milt Jackson and the Monty Alexander Trio, Soul Fusion
The Milt Jackson Quartet, Soul Route
Ane Brun, Rarities
Chick Corea and Gary Burton in Concert, Zurich, October 28, 1979
Arctic Monkeys, AM
Bill Evans, The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961

Aaron Johnson

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #84 on: March 15, 2014, 02:41:48 PM
I have yet to try a HD hi rez  track any suggestions for a first purchase, what are your favourite HD tracks?

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Kris

Reply #85 on: March 15, 2014, 03:24:14 PM
I have yet to try a HD hi rez  track any suggestions for a first purchase, what are your favourite HD tracks?

I know this album was mentioned zillion times already, but so far my favorite of The Dave Brubeck's Time Out is 2013 HiRez release from HD Tracks. I got this album on CD and I heard it on LP as well, but always wanted something in between. I mean analog sound with a bit of 'sparkles' from digital version. The 2013 hi rez release has it all. I strongly recommend it.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:35:31 AM by Kris »

Offline Paully

Reply #86 on: March 16, 2014, 03:56:47 PM
Just got Ryan Adams "Love Is Hell".  It is stunning.  Like it so much considering buying a back-up copy.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #87 on: March 18, 2014, 03:30:16 PM
New today:
Beck, Morning Phase
Jimmy Smith, Fourmost
Joe Locke/ Geoffrey Keezer Group, Signing

Aaron Johnson

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #88 on: March 19, 2014, 12:50:26 AM
Ordered today on vinyl Gregory Porter, Liquid Spirit

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #89 on: March 19, 2014, 04:37:00 AM
Ordered today on vinyl Gregory Porter, Liquid Spirit

Oh yeah, great song on there - "Want a BeePre, got a BeePre. Want a BeePre, got a BeePre."

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.