What are we buying these days?...

Chris · 61812

Offline Paully

Reply #120 on: May 26, 2014, 06:54:33 AM
Just bought MOFI Carol King "Tapestry" and Los Lobos "Kiko".  Imagine they will be here next week.  Was thinking about picking up the new issue of Wings Over America, not sure I will though.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #121 on: May 28, 2014, 03:03:50 PM
Pre-orderd the new album from First Aid Kit called Stay Gold.  If you haven't heard of them they are two sisters from Sweden that do mainly folk influenced music but they have a beautiful vocal harmony thing going on between them.  I think this is their 3rd album, all are pure gold IMO.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:06:32 PM by mcandmar »

M.McCandless

Offline Grainger49

Reply #122 on: May 29, 2014, 07:14:51 AM
Nice pair of altos!  I like the harmony.  It is reminiscent of Wailin' Jennys. 

I'm impressed that two Swedes write in English.  I bet they speak 4 languages, typical for Europeans.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #123 on: June 08, 2014, 02:24:56 PM
I treated myself to the newly released Led Zeppelin I, II, III High Res downloads from HDTracks this weekend. Jimmy Page did a real good job re-mastering this set! I have a box set that I bought about 10 years ago. I was never pleased with any of the recordings. Consequently they never got played much. I'm so happy that I can listen to these HiRes versions in all their glory. It feels like I'm in the studio back in 1969. Oh yeah and they have a bunch of alternate mixes, "rough mixes", live concert tapes and some other goodies that are worth the upgrade by themselves. #Thumbs up

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #124 on: June 20, 2014, 09:42:22 AM
Picked up a few minty LP's recently to add to my small but growing pile just a couple of pound each  ;D

The Stranglers - Ratus Norvegicus
U2 Rattle&Hum
StevieNicks Bella Donna
Supertramp- Breakfast in America
Simon and Garfunkle- Live central park
Bruce Springsteen- Born in the USA [/size]

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #125 on: June 20, 2014, 11:03:56 AM
I never knew people actually bought U2 albums. Famous for being the biggest band in the world that nobody likes :P

M.McCandless

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #126 on: June 20, 2014, 11:57:40 AM
I never knew people actually bought U2 albums. Famous for being the biggest band in the world that nobody likes :P

Well that's actually sort of true as the last time I brought a U2 album it was The Joshua Tree in 1987.  But its rude to look a gift horse in the mouth so now I have Rattle and Hum as well.

(http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-music013.gif)

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #127 on: June 21, 2014, 08:10:38 AM
I am cleaning out my folder of ebay emails.  I came across this and felt guilty.  I got Bill Evans, Selections from Live at Art D'Lugoff's Top of the Gate, 45 RPM 3LP set for $11.17.  The auction didn't say 3 LPs or that it was 45 RPM.  So I thought it was the other version. 

Still feel guilty, and wrote the seller that I did.  I didn't offer more cash.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #128 on: June 21, 2014, 06:36:25 PM
I am cleaning out my folder of ebay emails.  I came across this and felt guilty.  I got Bill Evans, Selections from Live at Art D'Lugoff's Top of the Gate, 45 RPM 3LP set for $11.17.  The auction didn't say 3 LPs or that it was 45 RPM.  So I thought it was the other version. 

Still feel guilty, and wrote the seller that I did.  I didn't offer more cash.

Oh man, what a steal. That's a great live album. I don't have it on vinyl but I do have a nice 24/44 high res version that I really enjoy.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #129 on: June 22, 2014, 12:48:59 AM
Hi there,

Just bought and enjoy Miles Davis - Bootleg Series 3 - Live At The Fillmore - 6LP's.

Best

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Tubejack

Reply #130 on: June 22, 2014, 05:00:56 AM
The new Jack White Lazaretto vinyl has some interesting characteristics.  Has anyone here played a copy?  (I have one on b/o from Amazon, receipt TBD)

http://thirdmanstore.com/jack-white-lazaretto-12-vinyl

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline caffeinator

Reply #131 on: June 22, 2014, 06:09:46 AM
I've been mostly listening to my Record Store Day selections, lurking in the vinyl section at Urban Outfitters to snag the occasional buy, and enjoying the monthly selections from Feedbands.  Listening to "Honcho Dreams" by Be Calm Honcho.

My special thrill has been watching my daughter discover music in my vinyl collection via the vinyl rig I set up in her room...lately, she spins more vinyl every day than I do in a week :)  I think that's mostly due to her vampire-like daily schedule, but I'm okay with that :)

Offline Paully

Reply #132 on: June 22, 2014, 07:41:15 AM
I enjoy getting my Feedbands records too!  Those are fun!

I went on a Led Zeppelin buying spree, but mostly older analog issues and I was enjoying playing those recently.  The press on the digital reissues was wonderful, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy a bunch of those.  I bought II and May get IV but I doubt it.

Looking forward to the new all analog Beatles mono reissues.  I won't buy the box but I will be buying a number of their later albums.  Now that will be cool.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #133 on: June 30, 2014, 12:17:11 PM
I have some Japanese Zepplin pressing that sound great! How are the new pressings and mastering?

Aaron Johnson

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #134 on: July 10, 2014, 01:53:22 PM
Recently picked up a couple of EP's by the band "Daughter" after stumbling on to Daniela Andrade's cover of their song Youth on youtube.  I really like the cover too ( ), but Daughter's "His Young Heart EP" is a wonderful short album and available in flac on bandcamp for a few bucks.  The Wild Youth EP is also really good but I had to resort to ebay to find a CD copy.

For those of you who like great female vocals, with mostly acoustic accompaniment, and beautiful melodies, they're definitely worth a listen.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:55:05 PM by dubiousmike »

Mike M.