"out of phase" 3rd speaker

azrockitman · 1688

Offline azrockitman

on: August 09, 2013, 05:40:20 AM
Ok, we were young   :o

Back in the '60's, my cousin read about hooking up a third speaker "out of phase" to create a unique effect.  You would run a single wire off the L terminal of one channel and a single wire off the R terminal of the other channel, to a third speaker;  those two wires would be connected traditionally to the L/R speaker inputs on the single speaker.  The L and R traditional speakers would be active and wired correctly.  If I recall, the effect was kind of like a reverb...it added a dimension to the sound that was quite unique. I suspect it would not sound as good today as we thought it sounded back then.... ::)

I have no idea what that was actually accomplishing.  You would basically end up with half of each signal being wired into one speaker creating kind of a bastard mono signal...?!?

Anyone ever heard of this weird practice?

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

4krow

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 05:42:15 AM
  Yup, I remember that. I recall that the L+R center speaker was a lot less loud.

4krow

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 05:44:39 AM
 Maybe I should clarify. The center speaker was connected to the positive leg of the Left AND Right channels.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:18:55 AM
That was David Haffler's DynaQuad.  You could put two rear speakers, in series and out of phase across the left and right terminals of your amp.  They gave the output (L-R) + (R-L), the "difference" channel.  You could use an 8 ohm L-Pad as a trimmer to match the speaker levels. 

As soon as I saw it I started giving it to customers. 

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:58:30 PM
I know that "center Chanel" outputs were on some 60's gear. I think Klipsch used to advocate it as well...John

John Scanlon