Krispy Crack

John EH · 2125

Offline John EH

on: August 09, 2013, 11:16:46 PM
Got my 2nd Crack and designated it "Krispy Crack".

Really struggled with what to do with the end bell but in the end it looks kind of retro and that's the look I'm going for.  I'll probably do something decorative down the left and right side of the chassis but it just hasn't come to me yet.   That space is screaming for something.

By the way it says "Bottlehead" where it would normally say "Doughnuts" in the logo.  Hard to see though in my pic.

No under chassis work yet.

John

w0lfd0g

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:33:13 PM
Sweet - I really admire your builds and wish I had the skills to do the same.

Like the coordination between the label colour on the output tube and the panel colour.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 02:23:26 AM
You should have called it "Krispy Krack"!

Offline John EH

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 04:21:48 AM
You should have called it "Krispy Krack"!

I thought about that but dismissed it.  Wanted to stay true to the Bottlehead given name.

Added an art deco line to kill some of the dead space.

Offline adamct

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 04:42:37 AM
I like it...

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 04:57:12 AM
John,

Very cool!  I'm a born and bread Southerner.  So Krispy Kreme was a normal thing.

Offline John EH

Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 05:14:46 AM
And the old BottleCap-a-rooni trick

Offline John EH

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 05:17:09 PM
Krispy Crack Lives!

Just completed the stock build and nailed it the first time.  Everything perfect, everything spot on.  Resistance and voltage perfect.

Sounds AMAZING!  I'm going to let it play non-stop for a bit and then build up the Speedball.

I would recommend that any builder go ahead and build it stock first to make sure it works.   You only remove 4 resistors that are right on top so it's kind of crazy not to in my opinion. 

After speedball if it doesn't work then you'd know why. If you just built in speedball and it didn't work you'd never know why and there's a whole lot more to blow up if you screw the pooch.

I love this Crack kit.  Pics of the guts later, maybe after Speedball.  Nice clean build again.

Viva la Bottlehead!

Offline adamct

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 05:40:07 PM
I'd add one more thing: after you install the Speedball boards, it becomes much more difficult to access the various pins and terminals to do the resistance and voltage checks. Since this is the scariest bit of the process (for me at least), I was very, very glad that I built the Crack in stock form first.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 05:41:36 PM
Very nice John! - thing of beauty!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline John EH

Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 05:51:42 PM
I turned it on, no poof, LED's lit and I just started listening to music then thought, maybe I should do the voltage checks just to be sure. 

My Crack Pipe sounded better in stock form than this though but it had a Goldpoint.  Soundstage on this one kicks ass.

I got in on the JAN triple mica 6080's and Clear top deal.  I'll toss a Mullard or Telefunken in later and see what happens.

This system goes to my 15 year old daughter so Dad is gonna burn it in first to make sure it doesn't catch fire or anything.