Album cover therapy...

earwaxxer · 4116

Offline earwaxxer

on: August 13, 2013, 03:15:30 PM
Gosh we really lost a lot when we lost the album cover!.... Fortunately for us "old farts" - we where there. We didnt have a choice but thats good. What happened, for those in the MP3 generation, was that when we "listened" to "our music" we would stare at the cover, flip it over, read the liner notes, etc. Thats what you had to do. No computers, no internet, no cell phones, texting etc. We were SUCH a blessed generation, I say that in a non-denominational atheist tone..., but having the visual to go with the audio was fantastic. Our imaginations filled in the gaps.

Here I am now. Enjoying "my music" much the same (probably even more) as before. I was "scrolling" through the album covers of all the music I have on my laptop, and I was overwhelmed with emotion. Overwhelmed with all that I have been neglecting. Seeing George Harrison on the cover of "Cloud Nine" I realized I have not grieved his passing... He (they - the Beatles) were everything to me growing up. How could this happen? I havent seen him in a while. Thats probably it.... Bring back the album cover!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 03:33:55 PM
sorry, I dont like responding to my own posts, but a bit of clarification is in order here... What, I think, I was saying when I said "bring back the album cover" - is bring back my youth and innocence (or lack there of) etc. You be the judge....

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:09:19 AM
I'll take the youth, and keep the knowledge including lost innocence.  If I only knew then what I know now ! !   Hubba, Hubba ! ! !

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:47:00 PM
true big G.... Youth is wasted on the young...

Eric

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:05:39 PM
You have hit a cord there. I remember putting an LP on, bringing the cover back with me to look at the Art, read the notes, clean a little, well never mind.

Then with CD's, too small to support the Art. Then, there was that lame little booklet.

Now with the server, I consider it I minor victory to get the correct cover...John     

John Scanlon

Offline Chris

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 09:26:12 PM
 "bring back my youth and innocence (or lack there of) etc. You be the judge...."... Mugshots as well??? :)

Offline Chris

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 09:35:54 PM
I know, album covers were an important part of the overall album experience... Even though I love the UFO Mechanix album, I was always bewildered and disappointed at the incredibly LAME album cover. I thought it shouldnt matter if the music is good, but still I felt like I was getting a little cheated with the 5 minute grade school paste up job... Maybe because we got spoiled with all the awesome covers from other artists ie.. remember the Frazetta artwork for Molly Hatchet and the hilarious and for awhile banned Scorpions Lovedrive album with the guy pulling bubblegum off of the lady's exposed breast... haha a CLASSIC!! Boston's cool Les Paul spaceship, Yes, ELO, the list is ENDLESS!...Definitely an important part of the total artistic package and value...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:38:19 PM by Chris »

Offline Chris

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:42:06 PM
And speaking of what Wax is saying, yes, most definitely a rush of memories, feelings and emotions that immediately come to the surface by just a glimpse at an album cover that we own or did own in the past... Phenomenal stuff....

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:51:57 AM
You have hit a cord there. I remember putting an LP on, bringing the cover back with me to look at the Art, read the notes, clean a little, well never mind.

I have no idea how kids these days get the seeds out. ;)

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 07:14:22 AM
There were soooo many great album cover artists back in the day. I had the opportunity to attend a Roger Dean seminar last April on Cruise to the Edge. I also had the opportunity to have a nice "chinwag" with him afterwards. When I saw some of his art on display I knew I had to have one. I purchased a signed, numbered limited edition print of "Floating Islands" right there on the ship. http://www.rogerdean.com/

Not album cover art related but Carl Palmer from Emerson Lake & Palmer was on board selling his artwork as well. The story goes that Carl had tiny LED's installed in the tips of his drum sticks and used time lapsed photography to capture him playing. The results are very unique. To learn more check out his web-page.  http://carlpalmerart.com/ BTW - Carl's performance was incredible. He played two shows on the cruise. Once inside and once outside by the pool in a full gale. His signature gong's that are always behind him had to be taken down for fear that they would become projectiles.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 12:11:44 PM

I have no idea how kids these days get the seeds out. ;)

Ok, I have to admit - that one took me a minute! - those memories must be stored on some kind of "tape drive" in my head! Like sequential access. In fact I just got that tape smell - or was that pot? - prob stored on the same tape...

Eric

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:25 AM
Ok, what can you say about these LP covers versus the CD jewel case insert?  They don't compare?????  (not so well in focus, or maybe I'm not)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FNow%2520Playing%2FIMG_0041.jpg&hash=c79690751c139c18dbd4e02fc32d6ad89331204e)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FNow%2520Playing%2FIMG_0042.jpg&hash=8f574a11dc42e82a03366002078d80199e3659cd)

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:16 AM
And somehow they were all "perfect" for the album!

Eric

Offline Chris

Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 05:21:22 PM
I never noticed all the faces in the lion before... Thanks for the photo...