Eros RIAA and NAB?

johnsonad · 11650

Offline johnsonad

on: February 12, 2010, 12:17:42 PM
Hi Doc, Paul and others.  I would love to build up an Eros kit but would like to kill two birds with one stone.  How about making the kit available with RIAA and NAB on a switch as you have with your tape head model?  I can't be the only one out here that would want this feature.  More gear is nice but less gear saves cash for more tubes :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 01:18:44 PM
If you only want one tape equalization, that should be possible. Tape equalizations are different for different tape speeds and different standards; the only exception I know is NAB for 7.5ips is identical to NAB for 15ips.

Paul Joppa

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:44:01 PM
Paul that is music to my ears :)  I'll be using it with my Otari and yes, I will only be using it with 7.5 and 15 speed tapes using NAB eq.  When I'm ready to purchase, should I send you an email?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:31:15 PM
I'll check with Doc B and see how he wants to handle it. There may be a small custom packing and engineering charge.

Paul Joppa

Offline Saturntube

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:19:25 AM
I would want a double Eros too,  phono and tape project tapes 7.5 and 15 ips for my ampex 350

I will order today if posible

Offline Saturntube

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:23:34 AM
That would be RIAA  and   IEC  and if posible NAB both for 7.5 and 15 ips. 
Just one highly tuned preamp with the best parts available!

I already have a stash of EF 86!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:53:52 AM
You could fit two (RIAA and NAB or NAB and IEC), but not three EQ settings on the Eros. The RIAA/NAB combination is not a standard kit. To date we have only built one custom unit in this fashion. Thus we do not have a manual for that setup. It would take some time to work out a paint by numbers kind of instruction for that, but if one felt confident with their DIY skills we could probably supply both phono and tape manuals and the parts to pull it together yourself. Please understand this is not a standard kit and it would probably take some extra time to configure the proper parts list for such a setup.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Saturntube

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:59 PM

Sounds good to me!

I will PM the queen!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 07:04:33 PM
Mine is warming up as I type this.  Thanks again Dan and Paul for putting it together!

Aaron Johnson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:47:32 PM
It's been a while since I've posted on my Eros.  At first it was only used for NAB but as my tape machine needs some work, it has moved over to RIAA usage.  I've got two other great phono stages of which I feel blessed but in the last 3 months the Eros has been the only one in use.  If you haven't heart this circuit and are looking for a great sounding stage, one could live happy with only the Eros.  There is nothing it does wrong to my ears and I'm continually satisfied by what it extracts from my ever growing vinyl stacks.  I could compare and write all that audio mumbo jumbo but in the end it comes down to what makes you happy and gets your toes tapping.  The Eros does it for me!

Mine as this thread shows is configured a little differently with RIAA and NAB 7.5 for 4 track R2R tapes.  Tube wise it's wired for the 6BR7 tube and I'm running a Gold Lion 6922 hand selected by Jim McShane for low noise and balanced sections.  I selected the 6BR7's (out of 30) for low noise and great tone.  Try doing that with a few of the other vintage tubes without breaking your wallet ;) 

System wise  in the photo the Pioneer Exclusive P3 has been in exclusive (no pun intended ;) use since it arrived.  It has the lowest noise floor of any table I've personally heard or could afford.  It's the closest to a CD noise floor I've ever experienced if that gives an idea of how low it seems to me.  My other two tables are collecting dust and probably will be until they find new homes.  I alternate between a JICO MM-1 cart and the Lyra Kleos. The amps are rebuilt Heathkit UA-1's (EL84 PP).  They were purchased for a still pending pair of Quad ESL 57's but really do perform well with the Altec Model 19 speakers. 

Aaron Johnson