Altec Model 19's and Paramounts

johnsonad · 8010

Offline johnsonad

on: February 12, 2010, 10:10:05 PM
I'm wondering if any of you have tried the Paramount with the Model 19's?  They have a high rating but Altec recommends a minimum 10 watts to drive them.  I am in a small apartment now and they will not be driven to hard but I do appreciate tight and controlled bass along with the top and mids that SET is famous for.  The only low powered tubes I've tried with them so far are a pair of PP 2a3 amps that were graciously loaned to me.  They can't be putting out more than 10 watts and I barely turn up the pot on the pre.  The bass could be better I have to say but it could be a system matching issue.  Experience, comments, recommendations?  I love the mids and top end of the PP 2a3 and am hoping for more out of a Paramount 300b. 

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 03:05:01 AM
Poster Paully has Valencias and Paramounts.  I realize that is close but not the same.  Hopefully he will chime in.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:48:59 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Bryon

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 05:35:43 AM
I have used Model 19's with both Paraglow II [paramount's 2A3 predecessors] and SEX amps for a number of years and each is able to drive the Model 19's to beyond comfort level volumes without any problem.  It seems that a SET watt is worth a bit more than a regular watt or that Altec is being very conservative with their recommendations .  The 2A3 version of the Paramounts should drive the Altec's without problem.  My experience is that bass is also very dependant on speaker position and  the room they are in.  When my Model 19's were in my main system in a 20' room with the Paraglows, the bass was sufficient but nothing to write home about. When I moved them downstairs into another smaller space where they were by necessity closer to the walls, the bass improved dramatically even though they were being driven by a SEX amp.  Perception of sound and what a person likes is such an individual thing, but for me the Model 19's and Bottlehead products produce wonderful full sound together.  The Model 19's are certainly efficient enough for Paramounts, whether you'll like the bass that you get is hard to say.

good luck

Bryon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 08:21:26 AM
It sounds to me like it is more room dependent than amplifier dependent.

I have used Model 19's with both Paraglow II [paramount's 2A3 predecessors] and SEX amps for a number of years and each is able to drive the Model 19's to beyond comfort level volumes without any problem.  It seems that a SET watt is worth a bit more than a regular watt or that Altec is being very conservative with their recommendations .  The 2A3 version of the Paramounts should drive the Altec's without problem.  My experience is that bass is also very dependant on speaker position and  the room they are in.  When my Model 19's were in my main system in a 20' room with the Paraglows, the bass was sufficient but nothing to write home about. When I moved them downstairs into another smaller space where they were by necessity closer to the walls, the bass improved dramatically even though they were being driven by a SEX amp.  Perception of sound and what a person likes is such an individual thing, but for me the Model 19's and Bottlehead products produce wonderful full sound together.  The Model 19's are certainly efficient enough for Paramounts, whether you'll like the bass that you get is hard to say.

good luck

Bryon

Offline Paully

Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:13:58 AM
I can talk about my 846a with Paramounts.  I don't remember the respective efficiencies between the two, but I have no problem driving the 846a with the Paramounts.  Problems in comparing arise because I now have the Paramounts configured for 300B not 2a3.  But it seems like the Model 19s were at least 96db.  I can't believe you would have any trouble running them to ear splitting levels with 2a3.  And you can always change over to 300B if you feel the need, but I doubt you would.  Search the archives over in the tube asylum and see what people are running the model 19's with.  Also, its efficiency is posted somewhere on the web.  I remember seeing it, just not the actual number at the moment.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:47:38 AM
Paul didn't mention his room is huge!  That eats up power.  And he can still be driven out of the room with his combination.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:59:41 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline tubenerd

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:58:11 AM
I have used Altec 19s with a ParaSEX (parafed 6DN7) and later Parafeed 2A3 of my own design.  Also played with RC coupled 45s in the same room.  Granted, my room was small but no issues...sound was grand.  I ended up replacing the crossover from two VoTs and preferred the lower bass XO point.  Loved that setup!

good luck

Bryon