Jim R. · 7991

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 02:01:24 PM
Thanks, Doc.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 06:29:16 PM
I got a pair of somewhat distressed brass ends. They needed some fine paper on a few deep scratches, then evened it up with Scotchbrite, looked pretty good right there.

I find that brass is very easy to polish with most any medium to fine compound. You can even do it by hand without too much effort, using stuff like simichrome ether online, or from your local motorcycle shop...John   

John Scanlon

Offline xcortes

Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 08:03:44 PM
Jim, Mike is building me a pair of opts with all silver windings. I'm considering having the bell ends done in Sterling Silver. When we married we got lots of silver that sits in the closet. And there's workshops here that will do any piece.

Maybe even a front panel for the amp.

No encrusted diamods here though (couldn't resist!).

Xavier Cortes

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 01:40:58 AM
Xavier,

That's the best use of wedding silver I've ever heard of! To bad I can't do the same thing with the useless, hand-painted, very expensive and very ugly porcelain stuff that I got at my wedding...

Out of curiosity, I assume you would treat the bell end to prevent tarnishing, but what about the windings? Isn't tarnish a concern?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 03:24:44 AM
John,

Thanks.  Guess I'll just try doing it by hand first and have somebody watch and tell me how it's going, then I'll know how much overall effort it will be.

Xavier, now that's truly the first time I've heard of using silver for a endbell.  Decent shielding and non-ferrous, so a good starting point.

What I just gott is a pair of pinstripe tfa 2004 jrs with the brass endbells.  I'll probably use these in the 2a3 paramounts I'm collecting parts for now.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 12:45:51 PM
If you are going the hand route, after Scotchbrite, if needed, use some fine, then very fine steel wool, It depends on how good the surface it to start with. The Dowdy chokes I just are very nice, I will go right to the simichrome...John

John Scanlon