Taping tubes

adamct · 1274

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
on: August 20, 2013, 02:23:22 PM
I have a tube cooler / damper that is basically just a long, thick solid copper tube to slip over signal tubes (e.g., 12AU7, 12BH7 or E80CC). On the inside of the tube damper there are little plastic

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 02:41:34 PM
I'm trying to understand why you would want to do this? None of the tubes listed get very hot and you wouldn't need to assist in removing heat from them in a Bottlehead design which is open to air. What is your goal? To dampen the vibration to reduce a microphonic tube or remove heat?? 

Aaron Johnson

Offline adamct

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:26:08 PM
Mostly dampen vibration. Beyond which...I like the way it looks!  ::)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:01:32 PM
Copper tape will damp vibration somewhat, mostly at very high frequencies IIRC. It's not great, but it is visible on a scope. If you solder a drain wire to the tape and attach it to the chassis it will also work as somewhat of a shield for EMI.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 05:53:43 PM
How about, get some plumbers Teflon tape and wind a couple of rings on the tube till the dampener fits. Cheep and easy. Plus I have some success, using this stuff directly as a dampener, some success...John   

John Scanlon

Offline adamct

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 06:04:08 PM
Excellent idea! The manufacturer of the tube damper actually produces a high temperature version of these that uses some sort of Teflon bumper. Thanks for the suggestion!