Need guidance installing new Paramount transformers

glynnw · 3845

Offline glynnw

on: August 24, 2013, 01:46:54 PM
I admit in advance that I assemble these kits by carefully following instructions and couldn't do it without the pictures.  I am very ignorant of how most of it really works.  Trying to install new upgrade BH-5 and BH-7 transformers.

BH-5: On the "IN" side does the black wire go to terminal labeled "plate" or "ground"?  I assume the red wire then goes to the remaining one. 

BH-7:  Has 2 terminals, 1 marked with a black dot.  Does black wire go to "dot" terminal or other one?  Same assumption as above regarding red wire.

Thanks

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline mqracing

Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 04:57:40 PM

BH-5 output transformer:

The end with the product ID is the primary.   We use the convention of "the dot is hot" (+) .  This means that it is the AC positive-- this terminal goes to the plate of the tube.  The non-dotted terminal is AC ground (-). 

Secondary follows the same convention.  The dotted terminal is "hot" (+) and the non dotted terminal goes to ground (-).

BH-7 choke: The dotted terminal is the physical start of the winding.  I usually treat this as the high side (furtherest from AC ground).  But on the plate choke this is not critical.  Just be sure to orient both chokes the same way--- that's why I put the dot there--- so whatever you do you can do the same with each plate
choke.

MSL

Offline glynnw

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:47:32 PM
Thanks Mike - but I still need input from someone familiar with Paramount wiring because I do not know if the black or red wire going to B-5 is the positive.  I tried to look at the schematic and couldn't even find the 2 transformers in question.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline glynnw

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:41:15 AM
Apparently I solved my dilemma by declaring red to be positive in these 2 applications.