Lies, Or Not, That You Were Told About Vinyl:

Grainger49 · 9110

Offline rif

Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 02:42:48 PM
A lie of omission: no one told me I had to purchase a record cleaning system.

-david

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 11:01:27 AM
You don't if you live in a clean room and buy only new LPs (that's a lie, new LPs are dirty).

Offline Chris

Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 09:58:42 PM
Dammit G, there you go lyin' again.... haha

Offline caffeinator

Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 06:38:55 AM
I think I'll have to give a plus one to the urban legend about backwards recorded messages on (at the time) LP's.

When I was in college, a group came to campus to speak on the subject, purporting to have no agenda other than to expose something inexplicable and suspicious, but in the presentation, their Christian affiliation became apparent - not that there's anything wrong with that - it just struck me as incongruous that a group who advertised themselves as exposing some Machiavellian recording-company scheme would themselves be shying from full disclosure in the process.

They had made posters advertising the event using a popular image of Jim Morrison (the one from the book jacket of "No One Here Gets Out Alive").  We took down all the posters we could find, and made a giant Jim Morrison collage in our dorm.  I'm not sure, but if you looked at it backwards, I think it read "evila tuO steG ereH enO oN" - clearly including the word evil, more or less - so I guess they may have been right after all.

4krow

Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 07:09:04 AM
 I just gotta comment about subliminal messages in this post. Lets think about what is being done by some salesman/vendor who 'suggests' but not directly, any number of things that we might doubt about something that we don't fully understand. Just to make sure that everything is going to work swimmingly, here comes a little gadget that fixes a problem not thought of before. It can be true or not, that is not so important as making your audiophile assured that a ghostly little demon has been put back in the box.

On another subliminal note, I recently purchased a 'sleep machine'. It makes soothing noise that may help you clear your mind and go to sleep. HA! not me, I ANALIZE the sound (subliminally of course), and start to hear what sounds like voices just below the noise. Worse yet, with a little imagination, I hear "guilty, guilty" just under the noise. "Hello, is Dr. Mindblone there please? Yes, I need an emergency appointment." Baby steps, baby steps.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 03:47:39 PM
This is  funny! But I am as SERIOUS AS A HEART ATTACK that us philes of the day were VERY religious about not playing our albums more often than every 24 hrs. From what I remember, and maybe Deb can help me out here, growing up in Watertown, at least, there was a certain audio sub culture - Hal Puffer belonged to that group as did others. We did NOT play our albums more than once a day. It wasnt so much of the grooves 'liquefying' as that they would 'expand'. Again, I was 15yrs old. Who the hell knows?

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 08:23:49 PM
The biggest of all:
"Vinyls are fragile and you can wear them out easily"

Thet's true only if you can't properly set your tt!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Chris

Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 09:00:20 PM
"evila tuO steG ereH enO oN".. If you look close enough.. Take the R out of ereh and mix it with evila, and that, my friends is an anagram for Elvira... and she just happens to be the Queen of the Darkness... so, I have to say, there IS some truth to the evil that lurks hidden in the ugly underbelly of our rock and roll records....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:04:19 AM by Chris »

Offline Chris

Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 09:02:05 PM
And let us NOT confuse a Mr. Jim Morrison aka Mojo risin, with our main man Mr. Grainger Morrison aka Mogo risin...... 8)

4krow

Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 09:44:23 PM
   Magoo Risen

Offline Grainger49

Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 12:32:43 AM
BTW, Greg, I had a room mate who had an old Sony tape recorder (had speakers so it wasn't a deck).  It had the ability to adjust the heads so we could record Number 9 by The Beatles backward by swapping the head we were listening to.  I could imagine that "Number 9" sounded like "Turn me on dead man."

That was much easier than trying to listen by finger turning the table backward.

Eric,

I had heard that too.  One very nice guy allowed me to play a song on his LP 4 times in a row to compare different crossover cards for my SS-1 System.

Bonzo,

I bought a NM copy of a British import Transatlantic LP about 4 months ago.  The album was ruined by mistracking.  All the transients were highly distorted.  It was either set up wrong or a badly worn stylus.  I'm going to vote for a bad match between arm mass and cartridge compliance.

To all, of course I'm a big fan of The Doors.  Always have been even before finding out the lead singer's last name.

Offline Chris

Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 01:09:09 AM
Magoo Risen..... hahahaha that is too funny.....is this the Transatlantic band with Mike Portnoy, John Petrucci and company??? if so, I am impressed... weird that a UK pressing would be that bad...

Offline Grainger49

Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 01:31:13 AM
Chris, IIRC it was a John Renbourn album.  Transatlantic is the English label.

4krow

Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 04:03:09 PM
To be frank, NOBODY LIED TO US MORE THAN OURSELVES.

Offline bobster

Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 05:02:59 PM
I thought you were Greg - not Frank.  But if you wanna be Frank, you probably ought to tell him   8)

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland