Lies, Or Not, That You Were Told About Vinyl:

Grainger49 · 9108

Offline Grainger49

on: August 25, 2013, 06:57:05 AM
Ok, so I just got this idea from Eric.  I was told that the stylus had such great pressure in pounds per square inch that the vinyl would liquify.  Addendum, I was also told that the lamp black, which is what makes records black, would liquify.  But that it was there as a lubricant.

Now you give us your favorite bit of folklore about vinyl.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:55:51 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Aural Robert

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 07:42:43 AM
I remember in the 70's a story that if you played Black Sabbath backwards, something evil would happen, or something. I don't remember the result exactly, and a quick net search only says you will want to kill yourself. Which of course is pretty evil I'd say.

Aural Robert.
... All day long I think of things ...

Origin Live Calypso TT w String Theory arm & Shure V15VxMR, Eros or BH DAC -> BeePre -> MonAmor 2A3s w JJ's => Blumestein Bamboo Tritons on Blumenstein Bamboo stands, AND Enhanced SEX w Sexy spkrs and subs in the WAF zone. DIY Belden 89259 w Eichmann interconnects throughout

Offline Chris

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:00:05 PM
Haha G.. Who the heck were you hanging around with?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:45:35 PM
I believe I heard that from someone named Chris.  No, I'm not yanking your crank, he was VP of a shop I was working at in the 70s.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:56:38 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline debk

Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 12:18:23 AM
Lamp black is basically just carbon and is used as a pigment in many application. I can't see it melting. I have used it as an opacifying agent in some of my rocket propellant formulas.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:23:01 AM
Lamp black is basically just carbon and is used as a pigment in many application. I can't see it melting. I have used it as an opacifying agent in some of my rocket propellant formulas.

Debra

OK, I'll bite. Why does rocket propellant need to be opaque?

Also, out of curiosity, I assume that building rockets is a hobby?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:55:30 AM
How about that it would be affordable?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline debk

Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:58:17 AM

Debra

OK, I'll bite. Why does rocket propellant need to be opaque?

Also, out of curiosity, I assume that building rockets is a hobby?

Best regards,
Adam

The opacifier inhibits radiative heat transfer to the non burning propellant and prevents it from igniting prematurely.

Yes, I build and and fly high power rockets

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:52:46 AM
Interesting, thanks.

I guess you attempt to achieve new heights in all of your hobbies!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 09:20:39 AM
IIRC it serves the same purpose in smokeless gun powder. I guess that is part of the reason black powder goes BOOM!, and smokeless goes FFFFFT! when you throw a match on a little pile of it. Hey Deb, do they use smokeless gunpowder in rockets?

Getting further off topic - have you ever read about the experiments done at, I think, General Dynamics back in the 60s where they launched vehicles with a stream of high explosive charges dropped out the bottom, the shockwaves of which pushed on the dish shaped bottom of the vehicle to lift it? It was a small scale experiment to test Freeman Dyson's proposal of doing the same with a larger vehicle, using small nuclear bombs. They were doing these launches right across the water from some pretty fancy houses in LA. Ah, for the good old days when you could test high explosives and experimental aircraft right in your own neighborhood...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline debk

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 09:51:39 AM
I use black powder for the recovery charges.  The propellant is ammonium perchlorate composite propellant.  Basically the same thing used in the solid boosters on the shuttle.

I remember the proposal to use the nukes to push a rocket!

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 10:22:52 AM
Lamp black is basically just carbon and is used as a pigment in many applications.   .  .  .   

I knew it was a lie about vinyl, thus I included it in a Vinyl Lies thread.

Come on, you guys were told all sorts of lies.

"Alcohol will make LPs brittle and they will wear much, much faster."  Lie but told often
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:57:30 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Mike B

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 08:07:52 AM
How about the biggest lie of all;

CD's sound better than LP's

That one fooled lots of people - :)

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Chris

Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 10:21:22 AM
Cds are the PERFECT sound forever BS...  and... "I believe I heard that from someone named Chris".... Well, that explains it perfectly!!! :) .... and yes Doc, I remember reading in the 1970s about a spaceship being propelled using hydrogen bombs... Being a kid, yet an inquisitive kid, I was trying to picture a ship with multiple hydrogen bombs detonating to achieve the speed of light.... article in popular science or popular mechanics, one of the 2, my Dad had both subscriptions... I also read in the mid 70s about a company in Zurich who was producing a car the ran on hydrogen... 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:47:25 AM by Chris »

4krow

Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:25 AM
 I know that this will sound wrong, BUT the first CD player that I owned was sony CD-1. It sounded as good as albums, as long as they were transferred decently. It wasn't until I bought a Nakamichi CD player OMS-3A, that I started regretting moving out of vinyl.
  The best lie about vinyl was that you had to spend BIG coin to get good sound. I had maybe $700 invested in a table and cartridge, and wish that I could ever do as well again.