Seemingly randomly occurring static in left channel (Crack+Speedball) [solved]

mahchefai · 1394

Offline mahchefai

I just finished installing the speedball in my crack, and I have been hearing some static in the left channel. It isn't consistent though. Like I'll plug in my headphones (650s) and hear some static get louder, then quieter, then sometimes it'll just go away. But then it'll occur at times during music or when a change a song.. There doesn't seem to be a way to escape it.

This static was not present at all in my Crack before I installed the speedball. The only issue I had was some slight humming when I tapped on the amp (it would not be present as long as I left the amp alone, so I didn't find it to be a big problem), the manual says this could possibly be the result of a faulty tube or maybe a capacitor. I was thinking this could just be another symptom of the same problem, but I'm not entirely convinced. I'm pretty sure all my soldering is fine but I'll probably check it all again tomorrow because I don't know what else to do. If anyone has had a similar problem I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

Edit: Probably should've mentioned, it sounds great, beside the static it seems to be perfectly functional...

Edit 2: The static stays the same volume even when I turn the volume all the way down if that means anything
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:49:36 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Since the noise was not present before it could be due to a bad solder joint in the new construction. The hum from tapping could also have been a bad connection, or it could have been from disturbing the internal structure of the tube when you tapped it, it's a little hard to judge this stuff at a distance. The best bet is to reheat solder joints and maybe try a different tube if you have one to try.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mahchefai

I re-soldered a couple of iffy points on one of the small pc boards and it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks! It sounds great!