Reduction into TVC issue

undertowogt · 5377

Offline undertowogt

on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:50 AM
Hello everyone.

I have a weird issue here. Not exactly pertaining to only the REDUCTION
I have finished my Reduction and it runs / sounds great.

First I will explain my system.

TURNTABLE  INTO REDUCTION PHONO

REDUCTION PHONO OUT/ INTO  PROMITHEUS TVC (transformer volume control Preamp)

OUT TVC INTO AMPS.

******I have test other sources and all cables, gear is working perfectly*************

****** When I run the REDUCTION PHONO directly into my amps bypassing the TVC everything is working correctly.*************

HERE IS THE ISSUE: When using the same tested cables I run the REDUCTION into the TVC then to the AMPS. The system does not work correctly. 1 interconnect (that worked fine before) does not work. The channel sounds thin, with no bass being reproduced.

The strange thing is another interconnect (exactly the same cable as faulty interconnect) works perfectly. I have tested the cables and channels separately as well as together to rule out any

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:35:56 AM
Going balanced XLR to single ended RCA can be tricky. The logical thing to do is figure what is different about that one cable that has bass. My hunch would be that there might be an open between the cold leg and ground that might be connected in a typical balanced to SE cable. Check continuity with your meter, comparing the one cable that seems to work right against the other cables.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 08:51:11 AM
thanks for the quick reply.

I am  now at a point that I realize it is an interconnect issue and not a Reduction/tvc issue. I just hooked up my old (very low fi inexpensive) phono preamp to test again.

Seems to me I have actually been having this issue for a very long time and have NOT noticed it  :-\. The Reduction has much more bass and must be way more revealing. With the old phono is is tough to tell, with the REDUCTION in line it is right in my face wrong.

Should I try wiring single ended cables? My TVC has Balanced in /outs. Wouldnt I be sacrificesing cable/signal quality?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:38:02 AM
It is a very common misconception that balanced cabling is arbitrarily better. It is technically better for one specific usage, that being very long runs of cable where a single ended cable might be more prone to pick up noise. Other than that, my experience has been that at line level and at sane cable lengths the wire and dielectric used in a cable seem to have a lot more impact than a balanced configuration.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:37:10 AM
wait a second............. I am still not on track. I have tested manufactured, working, balanced RCA to XLR cables and they sound very thin as well.  I have inspected the soldering of those manufactured cables and they look great. I also tested my DIY RCA to XLR direct from the reduction to the AMPS and they work perfectly. I am still very confused............... :o

I am going to rewire some unbalanced rca to xlr and try them.

The Reduction should work the same as with a balanced cable and an unbalanced right?

So to restate: I have 1 nice sounding RCA to XLR Balanced cable. the other three I have tested, work, are soldered correctly are professional Audio Cables but sound VERY VERY THIN, So thin they sound broken?
any other thoughts?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:17:24 PM
A balanced to single ended cable is sort of a band-aid. They can be internally connected different ways, based upon what you assume the user is connecting to what and which end is source and which end is load. The connections inside each device can influence the way the cable works too. For example the TVC may have a center tapped primary, or it may have a non CT primary. That might change the way the signal cold is connected with respect to the chassis/shield ground, and that could affect the sound. If the "bad" cable is floating because of a broken shield/ground connection to the signal cold, that might actually be helping the situation. You would need to examine how the cable is wired and how the input of the TVC is wired to figure out exactly what might be going on.  Do you have a single ended RCA input on your TVC? If so, try RCA to RCA single ended connections, as that may bypass the entire issue.

If you don't want to attempt to sort this out by pulling things apart the next best step would be to check with the manufacturer of the TVC and ask if there are any potential issues with connection of a single ended to balanced cable to the TVC's balanced input.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:02:45 PM
Hi Doc,

I appreciate your reply very much. I re wired 2 silver cable UNBALANCED RCA to XLR interconnects. I attached them to the REDUCTION/TVC/AMPS. The sound is extremely thin with much lower volume with both cables.

I then when direct REDUCTION/AMP with the same cables. the sound is correct. Full, bass, highs...its all there.

So I took the working (possibly bad) cable out of the equation. SO IT IS THE TVC.

If the TVC is wired differently on the input/output would it create this THIN low volume sound, or would it not work at all? I would have to think that there would be no sound at all. the next step is opening up the TVC to see how the inputs and outputs are wired.

To answer your question, NO I dont have rca jacks on the TVC on XLR in/out

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 02:46:33 PM
If the TVC has a center tap on the primary and it goes to chassis ground internally, that in combination with a cable that ties shield to signal cold could cut in half the expected signal coming in to the TVC, which would reduce the signal level coming out of the TVC. If this is the case it could also affect the tonal balance.

But this is pure speculation, you will need to trace the actual connections in the TVC or talk to the manufacturer to know for sure what is going on. We have seen some very squirrely behavior in systems that have had single ended to quasi-balanced connections and such. You really need to know how it is actually wired to be able to take steps to correct any issues.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 04:12:39 PM
Thank so much for your help. I will open the tvc tomorrow to take a look how it is wired. I will also be sending the manufacturer an email asking them how they wire the XLR jacks.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 05:49:04 PM
I just want to clarify that I'm not saying the TVC manufacturer is doing anything wrong. They simply may not be expecting that someone would connect a single ended to balanced cable to their balanced input control. Without that constraint there are more possible ways to wire things.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 04:54:36 PM
So I have done some more test.

cassette Player - through TVC = lower volume, reduced bass
cassette Player - Direct = Higher volume, Full bass, sounds nice

Laptop/FLAC through TVC = lower volume, reduced bass
Laptop/FLAC - Direct = Higher volume, Full bass, sounds nice

correction

Reduction Phono through TVC = lower volume, reduced bass
Reduction Phono Direct= Higher Volume, Full bass Sounds nice.

I am now use re wired UNBALANCE RCA to XLR to go to the TVC and to go DIRECT

I opened up the TVC and it is balanced IN/OUTS

here is my Question- If I rewire the TVC IN/OUT jacks to be UNBALACED will this fix my issue. Will i have more volume, more bass and a more full sound?

I have not contacted the manufacturer. They are in Malaysia and are known for not responding to emails.

any advice is appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:26:50 PM by undertowogt »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 04:58:06 PM
What is the amp you are using?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 05:05:06 PM
I am using studio near field monitors with XLR or Quarter inch inputs.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 05:07:12 PM
What is the input impedance of the monitors?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 05:17:01 PM
i though you were going to say that.........................

YSM1p Specifications

Program Power (Watts) 115
Nominal Impedance (Ohms) 8
Sensitivity (dB @1Watt/1m) 90
Frequency Response (Hz +/- 3db) 40-20,000
Crossover Frequency (Hz) 2,500
Input Sensitivity (Vrms Sine) 1