maybe dumb wiring question?

bundee1 · 9299

Offline bundee1

on: February 15, 2010, 03:48:16 AM
I look at all the pictures in the manual and of all the completed quickies and I see that the D Battery holders are placed with the - spring terminals back to back (the duracell logos on the different batteries would be going in opposite directions). In the manual it shows the red and black wires diagonally across from each other and the board placement indicates where the wires should be placed. When I install my D battery holders the are both pointed in the same direction instead of back to back. Do I need to run the wires differently to get them to look like the pictures?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:20:00 AM
It is best to go with the instructions in the manual.  Honestly, the orientation of the D batteries is not at all important in this circuit, but it will help in the assembly process to be able to see the red and black wires from each D cell go where they need to go.
-Paul

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:50:23 AM
Is the diagonal wiring the result of putting the D cells in series?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 09:10:46 AM
The D-cells each heat their own tube, as the 3S4's are directly heated and cannot share a filament supply in this circuit.  When I worked up the layout, instead of using one screw in each of the four corners of the D-cell holders and two extra holes per D-cell holder to run the wires through the chassis, I went to two screws per D-cell holder and slipped the wire leads through the other two holes.  This minimized the number of extra holes to be drilled, and if you wanted to put the batteries inside, these holes could easily be filled with extra screws to hold the D-cells in.

It is kind of funny to mess with someone not familiar with the Quickie by flipping one of the D-cells around while it's running... 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:43:28 AM
Physical orientation of the D cells is not important, but note that the negative end of the cell must go to pin 5 of the tube socket in order to maintain the operating point and meet the specification of the tube.

Paul Joppa

Offline bundee1

Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 12:20:00 PM
Im sorry for causing confusion. Im not going to wire the quickie any different than what the instructions say. I was just comparing the pictures of everyone else's quickie to mine and noticed by following the instructions my quickie has both batteries going the same way and not back to back. Everyone has their battery packs with the negative terminals back to back.
How did you guys do this?
Did you thread the wires through the opposite holes in the battery pack?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 12:40:02 PM
And I may have caused the confusion becaise I was thinking that the D cells were in series.  That would necessitate the positive of one be wired to the negative of the other.  It seems that the two batteries each power their own tube.  That is, one battery per tube.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 02:56:02 PM
Im sorry for causing confusion. Im not going to wire the quickie any different than what the instructions say. I was just comparing the pictures of everyone else's quickie to mine and noticed by following the instructions my quickie has both batteries going the same way and not back to back. Everyone has their battery packs with the negative terminals back to back.
How did you guys do this?
Did you thread the wires through the opposite holes in the battery pack?

This image shows the correct way to do it.  Both battery holders are prepped identically, one is rotated 180 degrees from the other.  So yes, the black leads must be back to back if the instructions are followed.  (There is a picture of the top plate with some white writing on it, and that is a little erroneous)
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fyhst-76392764919929.us-dc1-edit.store.yahoo.net%2Flib%2Fyhst-76392764919929%2Fquickiebatteries&hash=a9ef5dfef29d432d1bf827943c783894135bed36)
In the instructions, there is an image right above and to the right of this one.  It shows an unprepped battery holder next to one with the lads rerun. 

-Paul

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline bundee1

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 08:04:31 AM
Thanks guys, this clears things up. Slowly but surely building my quickie.