Mainline Graphics Plate - Recall

Paul Birkeland · 4135

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
on: August 29, 2013, 07:48:13 AM
To the first run of Mainline customers - your chassis label plate is missing one little piece of text - "0dB" on the coarse attenuator portion.

Our vendor is remedying the issue, and we will mail replacements as soon as possible.

If you're building your Mainline, it will be much, much easier to swap out this part before the output jacks are wired in.  The functionality of the Mainline will obviously not be impacted by a couple of missing characters. 

We expect to have these replacements in hand shortly.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Spinifex

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:07 AM
I'm a bit confused, maybe because English is not my first language, but doesn't a "recall" mean that we would need to ship the piece back?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:16:55 PM
I suppose you are correct, we certainly don't need the plates back!

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline danox574

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 07:49:38 PM
I was wondering about that when I saw it, but I thought maybe 0db was implied.  It kind of is.  But definitely looks odd.

I stopped building my kit due to a missing part on the power supply that I expect to arrive Tuesday or Wednesday - when you say shortly, how do you mean or can you estimate?  I'll use your estimate to make a judgement on whether I wait or not.

That being said, are your top aluminum plates pretty consistent?  Everything fit well in mine but when I put it in the base, the left side (only) is bowed upwards, so high that it clears the wood frame.  The other three sides are straight.  It certainly doesn't happen on my other products from you.  Is this normal because of the larger plate or would that be something odd?

Maybe if we're fixing the control marking plate and this is not normal for you aluminum panels I'll fix them both at once before anything gets wired to components on the panel.  I even put a 20lbs dumbell on the plate for three days hoping to cold-set it flatter but it had no effect.

-Dan
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:51:13 PM by danox574 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 06:05:05 AM
I don't have a specific timeframe, but I would expect to see them this coming week.

As aluminum plates get larger, the curl on the material becomes more apparent.  It's important to remember that aluminum sheet is extruded, then rolled onto a huge spool.  It is then rolled off this spool and cut into sheets.  If you have a large piece cut from the outside of the spool, the curl is less noticeable, but as you get to the inside, the curl is a little more pronounced.

Ultimately, mounting the power transformers tightly should help align things a bit, as would the weight you are applying.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 07:51:51 AM
I didn't have a problem with curl, but the chassis plate on my Crack would lift up whenever I unplugged headphones, so I installed retainer "clips" to hold the chassis plate in place. See here (and the two pictures after this one): https://www.head-fi.org/g/i/769324/bottlehead-crack-speedball/sort/display_order/#

I imagine that installing something similar would keep your chassis plate level and in place.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline danox574

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:56:47 PM
I don't have a specific timeframe, but I would expect to see them this coming week.

As aluminum plates get larger, the curl on the material becomes more apparent.  It's important to remember that aluminum sheet is extruded, then rolled onto a huge spool.  It is then rolled off this spool and cut into sheets.  If you have a large piece cut from the outside of the spool, the curl is less noticeable, but as you get to the inside, the curl is a little more pronounced.

Ultimately, mounting the power transformers tightly should help align things a bit, as would the weight you are applying.

-PB

Yeah, that's with everything mounted on the plate already.  The weight isn't doing a thing over days, I'll have to find some way to pin it in.

Offline bernieclub

Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 01:25:58 PM
Just got my new attenuator plate....the build continues!    Thanks BH!

Bernie Zitomer

Offline isldkid

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 02:14:42 PM
Thank you Bottlehead, just received the replacement plate.
Francis

Offline TubeTim

Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 11:47:06 AM
Received the update plate also (via 2-day USPS).  Thanks for taking care of it and the rush shipment.  Exchanging was simple.

_ .. --
  TiM

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 10:31:38 AM
Received mine as well.  Thanks!

Mike M.