weird voltages in paramour II - any ideas?

bobster · 3392

Offline bobster

on: February 15, 2010, 01:28:17 PM
Hi,

I fininshed up two paramour IIs over the weekend and have a couple of voltage readings that are off.

There is some consistency however.  Although the readings vary from the spec, the readings in the two paramours are the same.  Makes me think there is something wrong with the spec.

Problematic readings are at

terminal/pin        spec             reading          reading
                                               amp1             amp2

P2                      136                 39                 39

P3                      130                 39                 39

A1                      0.17               0.69               0.69

I should mention that all leds and tubes light up and all resistances were within spec

I am able to adjust the hum to 2.4 in one amp and 2.8 in the other.

Should I worry about these readings?  If so, any ideas on where to start?  Alternatively, has the manual been updated with new voltage values?

Thanks for any help.

Bob Musson

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:01:55 PM
Don't worry about P2 and P3.  If everything else is OK, these terminals are not a problem.  A1 will vary with the twisting of the hum pot.  How do they sound?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline bobster

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:10:34 PM
Thanks for the info Paul. 

As soon as I get the interconnects together, I will be able to listen and will report back.

Bob

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s

Offline bobster

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:47:52 AM
Well - finally got them in the system replacing a 20 some year old Harmn Kardon 730 "twin-powered" receiver. 

At first blush, I think I like the old solid state sound better.  With the paramours, things seem shrill (violins in a string quartet), a bit thin, and with less lower end.  Maybe its just a matter of letting everything burn in.  Will give thngs a few hours to settle in and report back.

Bob Musson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:02:24 PM
Let music play while you are elsewhere having a cold beverage.  Go back and see if it is better, if not, have a second one.

The tubes, capacitors and iron all really need some burn in time.