Now Hear(Read) This

Guest · 3760

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 08:51:31 AM
I used to regularly buy the german magazines Audio and Stereoplay, when I was young. Read them front to back and back to front. These days I only buy an audio mag when I am on vacation and do not have access to the web and bored out of my brains. On the web I mostly read Bottlehead, diyaudio.com and the Dynaco forum and occansioanlly 6moons and it's partner fairaudio. I find the language used in most of the commercial reviews these days just hideous and i am not willing to spend my hard earned oney on the sales lingo.....

Best

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:37 AM
Since we are reaching into the past, for two decades I subscribed to Hi-Fidelity and Stereo Review (later known as Stereo Review) and Audio.  The better, for me, was Audio.  One of the better parts of that magazine was Audio ETC (Edward Tatnall Canby).  Those were the hey days of audio gear and the dark days of the birth of "high end" audio.  They were particularly dark because the hot gear changed with every new publication of a "High End" magazine and I was a salesman.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:06:43 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Chris

Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:18 PM
Yeah, I was "teethed" on Stereo Review and Audio, Audio was great, I agree.. Man, DAMN good memories of those days..

Offline Chris

Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 10:02:32 PM
"I just look at the pretty pictures and the 5 digit price tags and throw it in the trash.
Kinda like Playboy, you ain't gettin' non of that either."... THAT is one of the funnier things i have read in awhile...haha.... But, I agree, for 50 cents an issue, you surely can't go wrong...

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 08:56:49 AM
I obviously don't subscribe to any print mags and don't religiously read any of the online blogs, mags or such, nowadays it's mostly this forum and diyaudio on occasion, such as the last couple moonths as I have been working on a pair of aleph J monoblocks. I do however lament the loss of Valve and Sound Practices.

Now if there is a piece of gear that I may be interessted in, I'll read any and all online reviews and comments I can find and try to make up my mind if it is something I think is worth a try. Most recently, in search of a super efficient, single driver, full range speaker I gobbled up all I could on the Rethm Trishnas and now a pair is on their way from India to me for my trial period. No telling what will happen, but I did have to have some time with these as they just looked too much like what I want for my listening room. And no, this is not to say there is anything wrong with the Orcas or Nagas -- still love them, but I do want the extra efficiency and am simply not willing to give up my 45s and 2a3s for an 845, 6c33c or the like just to have the power reserve for the dynamic scale I want to reach in my referrence setup.
As for online mags I will look at on a semi regular basis, PFO is one I go to often. I'd probably look at some of the others too but they are too hyperactive with respect to my screen reader and I can never read more than a line or two before I find myself at the top or bottom of the page.

I like it here at BH and even though some of us have some wildly different tastes in music, sound, etc., it's all good. Dan has really and truly built an online community of substance and integrity like no other I've seen anywhere.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

4krow

Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 11:19:03 AM
  Jim,

Single driver speaker designs have caught my attention for some time now. Like you, I read all that I could bear on the subject, but there was no getting better than buying a pair seeing what was up. I had to try a couple more to find my taste, but consider the experience wonderful as I enjoy that part of the hobby as much as the rest. Trying to find a good read is the same thing, as so many of them are guided by advertisers, opinions, arrogance, and a few other prejudices. This BH forum is by far the best thing I have found, but wish that there was more. I was reading comments on another site yesterday that quickly came to be a can of worms. Not the kind of thing that I'm looking for. Here, the moderation is just right when things get out of whack. Thanks to all who contribute here, as I find this to be an oasis for the few of us.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 05:38:46 PM
I check http://www.dailyaudiophile.com well, daily.

2+ - thats a great site. A quick gander on whats new. Especially with my iPhone.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Mike B

Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 05:44:00 PM
I have built 2 pair of single driver speaks.  Both pair sound great and both are driven by class A tube amps.

You guys are all into building amps, why not build up some speaks?

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 11:58:06 PM
I just went to The Daily Audiophile, it reminded me of Dagogo.  We had a Bottlehead who wrote for them.  IIRC, he was the one who turned me on to the Black Obbligato Polypropylene film and oil caps.  Still can't come up with the moniker or name.  But I have wanted to credit him many, many times. 

I don't have many original ideas.  I steal, er, borrow from others more often.

4krow

Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 10:13:02 AM
 Grainger,  When I was a young lad, I thought that it would be cool to see a boat use skiis....then I saw one. There is nothing new under the sun.