Now Hear(Read) This

Guest · 3759

4krow

on: August 31, 2013, 09:38:00 AM
 Many years ago, before there was dirt, an audiophile magazine was being printed in a very dark basement, maybe somewhere in New Mexico. They called it Stereophile, and it was small. I mean the format, geez. If you were astute enough, you caught wind of it and enjoyed the honest feelings of those who were not impressed by advertisers. In spite of the fact it, and others exist, I beg the question-'what rag do you read now, and why?' No, you can't use BH as an answer, that's too obvious.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:14:33 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:02:26 AM
I just let my subscriptions to Stereophile & TAS lapse. 6 Moons is a little too far out there, PFO only occasionally, ditto Tone Audio.  I just don't feel that next thing jones anymore.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:14:24 AM
I just let my subscription to Stereophile lapse, or it will in December.  I have subscribed since some time in the early 80s.

I was a charter (first year) subscriber to The Absolute Sound.  Some of the reviews made me drunk, the wine references.  I let that lapse when HP started writing sentences that were paragraphs.  Anyone that impressed with himself need not be read.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 12:28:28 PM
None any more. I like to look at the photos of the Japanese rag Stereo Sound but can't read a word of it....

The happier I am with my system, the less I look for new products ;)

Aaron Johnson

Offline corndog71

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 12:36:45 PM
I still read Stereophile mostly for the Letters, Art Dudley, Stephan Meijas, and Mike Fremer.  Sometimes it takes me a while to read an issue and sometimes I can read it in one sitting.  It really has no bearing on my system anymore since I mostly DIY and I'm pretty happy with what I have. 

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

4krow

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 12:55:32 PM
  Very interesting all. I am the same way. I haven't had a subscription for quite awhile, and during the last year of TAS, I found less interest in it except that I thought that some of the articles were well written. I did like to see the awards for component of the year and such, but mostly out of curiosity. It seems that now, I get about 90% of what I want here, and look on the web for the remainder.  I really do enjoy some of the blogs/articles that are recommended by you all(yah, I said you all).

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 03:08:18 PM
Down here you would say "All y'all".

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Chris

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 09:17:45 PM
I used to religiously  buy all the major British mags... Now, I just take a gander at every review site the net has to offer as well as have a couple reviewer friends that I chat with on occasion as well as a couple of designer friends to chat with...All that and the Bottlehead site and I am quite happy, I havent missed the magazines actually... I still hope they live long and prosper though...

4krow

Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 06:43:33 AM
   Chris,  I know what you mean man. When I was in high school, I read Stereo Review and believed every word. I would re-read the articles to try and get more from them. Back then, living in Wyoming, it was the only hope that I had of getting ANY info about stereo. Occasionally, I would take a trip to Billings Montana, population maybe 70,000. It actually had more options than you might think, despite it's size. I would go to shops there and listen to the wisdom of the salesmen. Eventually, I was able to pick out the idiots.

Offline Mike B

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:18:46 AM
I just signed up for 2 years of Stereophile.  Think the Mapleshade guys gave them my name.  Less than 50 cents an issue.

I just look at the pretty pictures and the 5 digit price tags and throw it in the trash.

Kinda like Playboy, you ain't gettin' non of that either.

Far away from the bleeding edge

4krow

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 01:05:02 PM
LOL    Yes, hope can be sold to the crowds at a price, but not given.

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 03:00:11 PM
I enjoy reading Bound For Sound (boundforsound.com).  They come out on regular paper sent to you in an envelop.  Their on-line presence adds photos and things.  I don't think they take it all too seriously except their joy of music and the equipment that makes it beautiful in our homes.  They don't even have a regular publishing schedule...just when they have enough to fill an issue, however long that takes.  Refreshing...

Best,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

4krow

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 05:20:58 PM
  John,
 Thanks for the idea. maybe I will look into sometime soon.

Offline odamone

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 06:33:27 PM
I check http://www.dailyaudiophile.com well, daily.

CD -> FLAC -> Squeezebox Touch -> Rega DAC -> PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Integrated Amplifier -> Quad 22L2

Oliver

4krow

Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 05:21:56 AM
 Hey, I like that resource, thanks for the link.