How long an interconnect...

paulw · 8113

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
on: February 15, 2010, 01:40:25 PM
...can the Quickie manage?  With my Foreplay to Paramours I'm using 6 meters of 75ohm cable, can I just slot the Quickie in or should I re-arrange the Paramours to get them closer?

Paul

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 05:59:52 PM
In stock form the Quickie has about half the output impedance of the Seduction, so I am not comfortable recommending more than 2 meters of cable after the Quickie. That said, I'd sure encourage experimenting and listening, especially if you have low or moderate capacitance cables.

With the choke or PJCCS load the impedance doubles, and I'd say one meter maximum.

If you get some good output transformers, the gain will be no more than unity (possibly a useful thing with Paramours) but you can drive much longer cables.

I have not tried anything myself, but as a starting point I'd recommend the Altec/Peerless 15095, or a Magnequest B7-8K; either one with a choke or current source load. I'm working on a white paper discussing various output and operating point ideas.

Paul Joppa

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:42:27 PM
Thanks - I've ordered the Quickie with the PJCCS, so I guess I'll be moving the Paramours away from the speakers and closer to the Pre initially.

Paul

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:33:47 AM
Cable capacitance causes a high frequency roll off, I think of 3dB per octave.  That octave could start at 10,000 Hz and be a whole 3dB down at 20k Hz.  So it would remove some sparkle.  My hearing is probably rotten above 10k Hz now anyway.

The effect you hear will vary.  Try it with a short cable after the Quickie and a long one to it.  Than try it with a long cable after and a short cable to it.  Let us know what you find.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:33:17 AM by Grainger49 »