IC cable theory question....

bernieclub · 8332

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 06:15:37 AM
Several folks here are talking about cables with no shields. I use cables both with and without shields in my system, probably about 20 pairs total. But we don't build them without shields anymore as the shielded ones don't give up anything to the unshielded ones sonically and they are always superior noise-wise for low level sources ahead of the preamp. We use Belden braided shield over a twisted pair of wires. We also us Neutrik Pro-Fi where we use RCAs.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline bernieclub

Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 01:59:05 PM
Again, I want to thank everyone for their insight.   I have a lot of experimenting to do, and I'll report back after some soldering and listening!
Bernie

Bernie Zitomer

Offline ssssly

Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 01:19:47 AM
Just to give you something else to think about. After spending quite some time with this myself, more hours reading articles and reviews than I would like to admit, and several experiments I ended up with the following as my favorite.

(6) 0.5mm solid silver core wires, individually wrapped in cotton tubing, and then braided in a flat 6 wire braid, with (2) of the wires for positive and (4) for negative. I then hand wrap them in teflon tape before feeding them through tube copper mesh shielding. Then sheerly for aesthetics I have polyester mesh tubing over that. I use Eichmann Bullet plugs and ground one side of the shielding to the tightening screw on the downstream end of the wire.

I also use this configuration for my speaker wires. I use (6) twisted pairs of cat5 instead of silver solid core though and I don't ground the sheilding.

The only wires that I have found that I thought sounded better in my system all cost about as much as my car, so I have stuck with these.

Individual results may vary:)