I NEED BALANCE

Guest · 1005

4krow

on: September 05, 2013, 11:06:01 AM
 Yah, I did it, I used a pun for a topic. No big whup. So, I am standing by my decision with the volume control setup that I have, i.e., master volume, and then L/R attenuation by stepped attenuator. My room requires it, my ears require it, and once in a while so does the recording. I hate it when I start to lean to the right just to get balance. I will ignore the symptom(it's kinda like Da  Nile) until it gets stoopid. Today though it wasn't a balance problem in the usual manner, no, no this time it was a baa-ad IC in a unit that I was working on. Either way, just about every pre-amp as such should have this necessity.  Your thoughts. P.S. This is just fore runner to a much bigger topic, but let's see how this goes first. No spitting.

Offline corndog71

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:45:47 AM
I had to rebalance my Quickie last weekend.  The tubes seemed to have drifted a bit since I first calibrated them.  I played pink noise and using my ipad's SPL meter at the listening position I marked down my 60dB and 66dB points for each channel. (Yay for dual pots!)  I haven't had the chance to try louder ones yet but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.  I call the 2 positions I have "low level" and "twice as loud". ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:48:11 AM by corndog71 »

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

4krow

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:43:12 PM
  Rob,
  See, that's just what I'm talking about. Stuff that you don't realize at first sometimes, but then it becomes a thing that stands out front.