Pioneer RT-909

Mike B · 10252

Offline Mike B

on: September 12, 2013, 04:56:46 PM
Just snagged off ebay today.

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3673/9732890157_e49cdfd2d4_o.jpg)

Guy is local too, so I'm going over to his place and pick it up Saturday - :)

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 05:54:02 PM
Kewl.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:53:30 AM
Will you be joining the tape project soon?

That is a beautiful deck.  It looks new.

Offline Mike B

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 05:14:45 AM
Nah, this deck is not suitable.  No IEC eq, no 15 ips.  It's a top end consumer deck, not a pro model.

But don't it look sweet?  Just stunning as all the reviews say.

I had one when I was young and just happened on this doing the ebay thing.  I'm going to do what I did earlier, tape stuff off the radio.  Also going to see if it can make "rough" CD's smoother.

It's also compact enough that it will fit where I want to put it.  That was a biggie.

Offline Mike B

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 01:11:55 PM
Yeah Baby!

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7364/9743929628_547520018f_o.jpg)

Looks good in there right between the Stereomour and the Crack eh?

And it fits perfect on that stand I built a long time ago.  What were the chances of that happening?  I must be psychic - :)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 02:28:04 PM
Nice!  I like the wood all around.  Will the 909 get something wrapped around it?

Offline adamct

Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 02:30:39 PM
What is underneath?

Offline Mike B

Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 02:37:17 PM
I could do wood side panels I guess.  Vents on top so don't want to go there.

An Olive O3HD.  I got 300 CD's on the hard drive.

I built that stand to support a dared i30 tube amp and after I replaced it I just had a puny little DVD player on it.  Now it again has some work to do which it can do well as it's 3/4" plywood.  I still can't believe the perfect fit.  Got lucky - :)

Offline adamct

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 02:38:44 PM
Nicely done!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 07:25:42 PM
Nice deck..  I will forever remember when I first heard a high end deck in the 70's in college. I was very skeptical going in that a transfer from vinyl would sound better on tape. Well it did.... I ate some crow that day... 

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Chris

Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 06:20:24 AM
I LOVE the 909 and the WHOLE line from Pioneer at that time.. My very first system as a teenager was the very same flouriscan series..  A SA 7800 integrated and a CTF-1250, the cassette equivalent to the 909.. meaning TOTL..... In fact, in a fit of nostalgia, I recently purchased the receiver equivalent... the SX-D7000 in absolute mint condition.. I will not be getting rid of that.. Had to have a piece of nostalgia and this is a beauty just like your 909 Mike.. Enjoy!!!  IMO, that was Pioneers MOST beautiful offerings.. Same with the car stuff at that time... Today, they , of course, are not state of the art.. BUT they sure are still state of the art BEAUTIFUL......Last of the mohicans before the 80s DARK AGES began....

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 07:56:12 AM
   .  .  .   I ate some crow that day... 

What's 4krow going to say about that?

Offline Mike B

Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 08:05:46 AM
Yeah, I always lamented the move to black faceplates.  I like the brushed aluminum.

Well black is better for HT stuff I guess and that's where the electronic world moved.

I just love Dan's artwork with the brush on the top plates.  That random glimmer that changes as you change angle.  Just gorgeous.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 01:39:37 PM
   .  .  .   I ate some crow that day... 

What's 4krow going to say about that?

Another interesting piece to the story - The 'dude' who had the deck was a Rod Steward look alike. Unreal resemblance, his long hair days of course. I loved walking around campus with him. Chicks would melt!.. 

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Chris

Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 07:35:47 AM
Yep, I also had the car setup from the same time as a teen, and MAN, was it gorgeous... All silver, aluminum detente knob, orange and green logic controls etc... amp and speaks...I was pleased as punch. And it is not like we are looking back today and realizing how beautiful that gear was then, no, as a kid, I was blown away looking at that stuff in the audio shops thinking just how stunning it looked.....  Not sure how true this is, but, that the industry started adopting the black scheme due to the huge  increase in popularity of all Black cameras.... I wouldnt dispute this really, I thought the Black cameras were darn cool back then also.. however, whats good for the goose "camera" , aint so good for the gander "audio gear"...