Wiring

Guest · 1485

audiophileboss

on: September 16, 2013, 02:06:48 AM
I want to re wire the wire that carries the "music" with something a little more hifi. I do not want to do the ac or dc wire. I did from the rca ins to the pot, and from the terminal to the phone jack, no ground just l and r. What else?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:39:39 AM
The signal wires are from the pot to the grid stopper resistors or girds (pins 2 & 7) of the small tube.  Then one from the plates (pins 1 & 6) to the grid of the large tube (don't have those numbers handy).  And then from the cathode of the large tube, through the capacitor to the output jack.

audiophileboss

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:43:01 AM
Thanks. Will do. Crack already sounds better with a little new wire, cant wait to see what it will be like now

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:38:31 AM
I want to re wire the wire that carries the "music" with something a little more hifi. I do not want to do the ac or dc wire.

You already did some AC wire (jacks to pot, pot to 12AU7).

I would do everything except the wiring going to the power transformer.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

audiophileboss

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:45:16 AM
Thats what I did. Baisically anything not twisted or leading to the transformer. I used some cardas wire and another type i can not reveal and the crack sounds better than my friends mainline

Offline isldkid

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:51:59 AM
Please revisit your friend's Mainline  after he has some run in time on the unit, maybe 200 hours or so.
If you have a chance to do this would you please comment.
FC

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:58:01 AM
Psychoacoustics are pretty powerful.

Also, the odds of you being within arm's reach of a running Mainline are incredibly small, flame much?

(Most folks waited to receive the updated graphics panel prior to completing construction.  These went out last week, I believe one or two customers went ahead without it!)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:27:26 PM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man