12at7 rolling

Br1ck · 2234

Offline Br1ck

on: September 21, 2013, 11:22:31 AM
I dug out about 10 12at7s out of my stash, Mullard, GE, Raytheon, Sylvania,RCA, Telefunken, Amperex, etc.

I couldn't read the brand that was shipped with the kit. Settled on two, The Tele and a Bugle Boy. The Tele was bright and wonderfully detailed, but the Bugle Boy won out as somehow more musically pleasing over time.

The only one I couldn't listen to was made in Japan. Harsh and too bright. Interesting couple of days though. Very subjective.

Offline Paully

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 07:13:55 AM
Back when I used to tube roll (funny how I lost interest in that, couldn't tell you why) I would roll this tube and that tube and no matter what the application, I always seemed to come back to Mullard.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 07:47:14 AM
Back when I used to tube roll (funny how I lost interest in that, couldn't tell you why) I would roll this tube and that tube and no matter what the application, I always seemed to come back to Mullard.

Which flavor Mullard do you prefer? I'm really liking the military version, CV4024.

Offline Br1ck

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:34:01 AM
I had two Mullards, a rebranded  IEC  made by Mullard, and a Mullard that looked identical, and they were to me too warm in the Stereomour. They both were in the top tier, but I like them better in other circuits. Anyway this is a most subjective exercise.

I do feel an obligation to myself to try some of the 250 tubes I scored this summer. I couldn't resist, so I'm tube rolling to justify the purchase. About half were known audio use tubes, half I don't have a clue.

Offline Paully

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:32:34 AM
Never having had a stereomour, my thoughts are just musings.  I bow to you and Brick who have tried them in this circuit.  But yea, back when I was using them in the Paramount I stocked up on the Military issue CV4024.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:20:46 PM
Was the raytheon a 1950s black plate, triple mica 12at7wa by any chance? That is one of my alll time fave flavors of this tube -- nice warmish but not mullard warm overall sound with crushing well-defined bass.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)