Ground Loop? Bad Wiring?

Alonzo · 3210

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
on: September 21, 2013, 08:19:56 PM
Got a little problem with my current setup I'd like opinions on and hopefully a direction to start of the fix.  My setup is a couple of sources to a modified Quickie out to either a DIY45 or EL84 or to a Crack.  The problem I have is either a ground loop or a bad modification I've made to the Quickie.  When the Crack is connected to the Quickie, there's hum when the 45 amp is played.  Disconnect the interconnects from the Quickie and the hums gone.  Also there's a spark when I touch a wire from the interconnects ground to the Quickie ground (I was probing around with the Quickie on and the Crack off).  So the Crack is the source of hum when connected, I'm looking to connect the case of my server, the Quickie ground, the Crack ground and the amps grounds to get rid of the hum.  Also, I'm going to rebuild the battery wiring and switch wiring on the Quickie to make sure it's isolated and I haven't mis-wired and connected the batteries thru the ground.  Can anyone think of any other ideas to check? Thanks!!!

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:06:00 AM
Alonzo,

Let me get this right you have two sources feeding a Quickie feeding three amps in parallel, right?  You play one of the three amps (Crack being one) but leave all of them wired up at the same time. 

The first problem "When the Crack is connected to the Quickie, there's hum when the 45 amp is played.  Disconnect the interconnects from the Quickie and the hums gone." sounds like there is a Quickie/45 amp reaction.  Check the ground to the plug on both amps.  Also check the resistance from the RCA outer connector to the chassis ground.

This one "Also there's a spark when I touch a wire from the interconnects ground to the Quickie ground (I was probing around with the Quickie on and the Crack off)." I'm not sure about.  Which interconnect ground to the Quickie circuit common gives a spark?  The Quickie common should be connected to the Quickie input RCA outer connection.  The spark bothers me, low voltage doesn't jump far, so I am wondering if you have 55V AC here.

If you ground everything make it a star ground.  One run from each component to a central ground.  I once ran a series grounding wire through all my stereo (in the 70s) and the noise was awful.  I got all kinds of hiss coming out. 

Offline Alonzo

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 11:12:08 AM
Hi Grainger,
I wasn't too clear on the description, but you got it right,.  The quickie has 4 inputs and 2 switchable outputs.  When everything is connected (45/EL84 via a Y connector) and the source, quickie and 45 turned on, there's hum in the 45 amp (not affected by the hum pot). If I disconnect the interconnects to the Crack, the hum goes away.  I've got everything on the bench now, checking resistances.  I would think the switch for the outputs would isolate the Crack.

Alonzo

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:38:27 AM
Alonzo,

If the input switch acts on both the hot and common you get isolation, if not you don't get isolation.  The same thing goes for the switched outputs.

Offline Alonzo

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 08:58:40 PM
Well, the Quickie checks out, input selector switch, on-off switch and output selector switch all measure out correct, the ground buss is OK, everything measures right.  Only thing wrong is this Quickies 1.5v batteries are wired backwards, I never corrected it on the original build.  Put it back in the rack and it's playing Jazz.  The Crack is next up for inspection.

Alonzo

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 04:45:17 AM
Hi Grainger,
I wasn't too clear on the description, but you got it right,.  The quickie has 4 inputs and 2 switchable outputs.  When everything is connected (45/EL84 via a Y connector) and the source, quickie and 45 turned on, there's hum in the 45 amp (not affected by the hum pot). If I disconnect the interconnects to the Crack, the hum goes away.  I've got everything on the bench now, checking resistances.  I would think the switch for the outputs would isolate the Crack.

Is everything plugged into the same outlet?  When you switch outputs, are you also switching the grounds?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Alonzo

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 07:19:24 AM
Everything is plugged into a Monster Line Conditioner (HTS3500MKII) with the ground connection from it connected to the chassis of each component.  I'll try moving outlets after work today. 

No,when the outputs switch the ground doesn't, it's just a 2 position switch from the output of the 3S4's to a different set of caps and RCA's.

Alonzo

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:14:27 AM
Alonzo,

Try measuring the ground lug of one of the outlets to the ground lug of the Monster power cord, unplugged of course.  It is possible that ground of some of the outlets is lifted leaving the interconnects to connect the grounds.

It is worth a try!

Offline Alonzo

Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 03:55:35 PM
Well Grainger,
Nothing has worked.  I've measured, changed interconnects, re worked grounds, almost everything I could think of.  I give up (for the time being).  There may be a shutdown coming up so I'll have some time to build a simple switch box and use my sources volume control and order a Crack to make into a preamp.  The Quickie will go on the shelf until I have the patience to tackle it again.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Alonzo

Offline Alonzo

Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 03:56:17 PM
Just noticed you changed avatar's.  Love me some Elvira!!!!!

Alonzo

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 07:50:31 PM
Also there's a spark when I touch a wire from the interconnects ground to the Quickie ground

Elaborate more on this.   What do the interconnects need to be plugged into or need to touch in order to do this?

You do have a grounding issue, a little more investigation should sort it out.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 08:27:36 AM
That has been bothering me since my first response.  I was suspecting an ungrounded device with some voltage on the chassis.

4krow

Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 09:28:55 AM
  G,

I am behind you with the switching hots and grounds when selecting. Doesn't it seem that there are too many 'irons(grounds) in the fire' not to have some kind of trouble?

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 10:13:53 AM
I wonder if maybe one of the outlets somewhere in the chain is wired with hot and neautral recersed or maybe there is a neutral to ground connection somewhere in a piece of gear?

Just some things to check.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline cpaul

Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 03:37:52 PM
I agree, 4krow, all those grounds connected via the "Y" splitter sounds like a recipe for hum.  But...are you saying, Alonzo, that you only get the hum with the 45 but not the Crack (while the 45 is plugged in and connected)?  Can you put some other amp in place of the Crack, plugged in and connected, and see if you also get a hum?  You've got a long, convoluted ground path for loops to form, so I'm guessing this will be hard to resolve.