Bottlehead + Speedball : sometimes does not turn on????

Aeolus Kratos · 1944

Offline Aeolus Kratos

on: September 22, 2013, 06:30:16 AM
Hello everyone,

After a pretty long time working fine, my speedballed crack started to have some little problems. When I turned the Crack on today, the tubes did not light up, then I slipped my Crack to see underneath, all the LEDs did not light up too ( that means there were no electricity in the Crack ), even though I pressed the power switch. I changed different power cords but could not help. I swapped the tubes, still did not work. Then I slipped the plate again, did not forget wearing shoes to avoid electric shock. I tried to touch and move the connector pins of the driver tube underneath the plate, then suddenly I was shocked and let the plate fall back to the wood base. But magically, the LEDs and the tubes lighted up again, and the Crack worked perfectly ever since.

I actually have no idea if there are some problems with the transformer or the joints.

Any idea?

Sorry for my bad English, I was trying to describe what happened to me.

Best regards,
Kratos.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:33:41 AM by Aeolus Kratos »

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 07:07:38 AM
You can still get electrocuted wearing shoes.

NEVER TOUCH THE INSIDE OF AN AMPLIFIER WHEN IT IS PLUGGED IN.

NEVER.

FOR ANY REASON.

As for your problem, it sounds like it is probably a weak solder joint. What happens is the joint will expand with heat and contract as it cools. Finding the particular problem joint can be done several ways. First, and with the amplifier UNPLUGGED, repeat the resistance checks from the manual. While doing this, carefully examine each soldered point visually, looking for any noticeable flexing. Re-solder any suspect joints. Repeat resistance checks after touch ups.

Some specifics of your problem - the LEDs not lighting does not mean that the amplifier is not live, just that the voltage is not reaching the LEDs. If, for any reason, you need to probe a live amplifier, use a wooden tool, like a dowel or a chopstick. Never anything metal or any part of your body. Still, only do this as a last resort; these problems are usually findable using safer methods.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 07:38:15 AM
When you have an issue with your amplifier, start by remeasuring voltages.

Just because the tubes don't glow doesn't mean that the power supply isn't energizing.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline John EH

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:22:27 AM
It sometimes turns on?

It's your switch.  take a voltmeter and see if you have 120 volts on the out side of the switch when it is on.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:40:42 AM
Or turn it on and see if there is 120V between the two lugs of the power switch.  That means the switch did not close.

Offline Aeolus Kratos

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 06:50:07 PM
You can still get electrocuted wearing shoes.

NEVER TOUCH THE INSIDE OF AN AMPLIFIER WHEN IT IS PLUGGED IN.

NEVER.

FOR ANY REASON.

As for your problem, it sounds like it is probably a weak solder joint. What happens is the joint will expand with heat and contract as it cools. Finding the particular problem joint can be done several ways. First, and with the amplifier UNPLUGGED, repeat the resistance checks from the manual. While doing this, carefully examine each soldered point visually, looking for any noticeable flexing. Re-solder any suspect joints. Repeat resistance checks after touch ups.

Some specifics of your problem - the LEDs not lighting does not mean that the amplifier is not live, just that the voltage is not reaching the LEDs. If, for any reason, you need to probe a live amplifier, use a wooden tool, like a dowel or a chopstick. Never anything metal or any part of your body. Still, only do this as a last resort; these problems are usually findable using safer methods.

Thank you for your advice. I'm now scared of doing anything like that  :(

I'll try your method if this happens again.

It sometimes turns on?

It's your switch.  take a voltmeter and see if you have 120 volts on the out side of the switch when it is on.
Actually, this is the first time this problem has happened to my Crack. I'll post here if there is anything else.