$5

azrockitman · 4961

Offline azrockitman

on: October 03, 2013, 02:47:31 PM
Many of you will laugh but I've never bought used LP's.....i always presumed I would get one home and it would be a horrible copy, scratch, etc.  But since getting my record cleaner i decided to put it to the test.  I bought this copy of Quincy Jones' "this is how I feel about jazz.."  1956 release.  I bought yesterday.  Cleaned it and honestly, it sounds as good as a brand new LP.  Very pleased and....it was $5.   ;D

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Wanderer

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 04:01:34 PM
I view buying used records as my gambling addiction. I win more often then I lose. Better odds than Power Ball.   

Kevin R-M

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:57:37 AM
Paully and I have discussed this.  We look at the horizontal surface of the record to estimate the condition.  The grooves are at 45 degrees to what we are looking at.  It takes a deep scratch to get to the vinyl that is being played. 

Both of us use Osage Audio's AIVS fluids and have resurrected LPs that looked unplayable.  Sadly, if there is dirt badly embedded in the groove it won't wash out, but some of them that are not really embedded come out.

Offline vetmed

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 05:54:39 AM
Since I got my VPI 16.5 a few years ago I have seldom paid more than a dollar for a record since. Only a handful out of hundreds were unplayable. And if you start haunting garage sales be sure to ask if they have any vinyl if you don't see any ;D

Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline dave-tx

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:25:05 AM
Great reminder that used vinyl can be a cheap and excellent source.  My related question is - what do you guys do with LP's that are NOT in acceptable condition?  I've got a crate of records that don't meet my standards and the local record stores won't take...  In the interest of clearning space for more nice records, what do you guys do with hard-to-move pieces of your collection?  Goodwill?  Pass them along to an unsuspecting friend?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 09:48:10 AM
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fpad3.whstatic.com%2Fimages%2Fd%2Fd8%2FDone_948.jpg&hash=76a89be4c0a22f473cb01a4b02f8e096d8c563c3)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:01 AM
e got a crate of records that don't meet my standards and the local record stores won't take...  In the interest of clearning space for more nice records, what do you guys do with hard-to-move pieces of your collection?  Goodwill?  Pass them along to an unsuspecting friend?

Put them in your recycling bin.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline azrockitman

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 11:20:31 AM
I'm on a new quest going forward to try more used LP's now.  If garage sales didn't start at such a god-awful time of the day, I would start checking those out!  Thankfully there is a good used record store close to me.

To Dave-TX:   i was searching Craigslist this morning locally and noted that someone was looking for vinyl (for free) for an art project.  You might find someone like that if you don't want to just scrap them. 
If they are just moderately bad, take them to a high school and ask if the music director would want to pass them out to his students as "rewards" (or punishments if they include any Wayne Newton.....)
 :o

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Paully

Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 09:47:49 AM
As Grainger says, you play the groove not the surface.  I won't pay for a roughed up record, but I have also been surprised by some records that found their way into my collection that play really well but look awful.

Offline chard

Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 03:05:05 PM
I buy my records used off ebay. I buy records graded: sealed, mint, near mint, excellant, or very good. Most of my records are old having been released in the 50's to 80's. I have had very good results buying records this way. I have bought only one or two bad records buying this way. The prices vary a lot on ebay, one person may sell an album for $5 while another person wants $30 for the same album off the same label, with the same record grade. I of course look for good buys and so far I have found them. I found that ebay  record dealers are very honest about their record grades and can be trusted. I buy mostly classical and soundtracks albums. New reissue albums in this genere run $34 each.  I almost always pay less then half this amount buying used, even including the standard $4 shipping charge. I have found that the original albums are usually equal to or better then the reissues.     

Clifford Hard

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:28:55 AM
Before I got my last temp job my limit was $10 delivered.  I relaxed my cap when I was working and bought 3-5 albums a week.

Offline Daikini

Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 05:42:03 AM
My local Salvation Army thrift store sells vinyl for $2 a piece. Last time I was in, I picked up nice clean copies of Willie Nelson "Stardust" and a live Merle Haggard album. I'm not really a big country listener, but for the price I've learned to be adventurous. Not sure how often I'll listen to that Chinese arhu record, but it sure was a minty copy!

David Gray

Empire 208/Jelco 750d/Nagaoka mp300 -> Seduction -> Stereomour ->Klipsch Heresy IIs w/ dual Polk PSW10s
Sony CDP-CX235 -> Schiit OptiModi -> Sex 2.1 -> Madisound BK-12m/Hifiman HE400

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 09:01:12 AM
I found that ebay  record dealers are very honest about their record grades and can be trusted.

That's the funniest joke I've heard in a long time.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paully

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 11:19:16 AM
Yea, I just got an "EX" Beatles White album from ebay that is nicely scuffed and even stained.  Playing right now.  Not what I would call excellent.

Offline chard

Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 03:23:58 PM
I guess I've been lucky, hope it continues.

Clifford Hard