Problems with voltages SOLVED AND CONFESSION

Mmaxed · 2559

Offline Mmaxed

on: October 04, 2013, 01:25:54 PM
I have had my Reduction running for a while now.  I noticed that if I lightly touched the left tube I got a loud crack through the speaker.  Figured it was a bad solder joint so took it to the shop.  Everything looked fine, but I went ahead and reflowed some joints.

Decided since it was on the bench to run the voltage tests again.  All had been fine the first time.  This time terminal 27 which should be 0 volts was a odd, moving around 45 v.  And term 31 which should be 70-90v was 154.4.

I pulled the plug at that point.

Where should I look for the problem?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:07:24 AM by Mmaxed »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:39:26 AM
Terminal 27 is grounded with a resistor that hits pin 9 on the 9 pin socket.  (1 Megaohm)  I would look closely at this resistor and resolder both sides.

The voltage at 27 creeping up will drive the voltage up at 31, so start at 27.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mmaxed

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 12:04:28 PM
Thanks PB.

Checked out the resistor and resoldered.

Did the resistance checks again.  All OK. 

Put the stock tubes back in for the next voltage checks.  All well on 27 & 31.

When I got to the higher voltage terminals they were all low.
Ones that should be 145-155 were 131.
Ones that should be 165v were 144.
Ones that should be 189v were 157.

When I put the Russian tubes marked 6h23a back in the volts on 27 & 31 went back to what I measured yesterday.  Tube swap side to side made no difference.

Did the AC volt checks on the transformer again.  With everything powered up with stock tubes they were 9.12 v on 4 & 5 and 135.6 on6 & 7.  Slightly lower than originally when they were 9.8 and 142.6.

Do I have a problem with the low readings on the higher reading terminals?

Is there a problem with the new tubes?

Both?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 12:09:52 PM
Is there a problem with the new tubes?

I suspect so.  That problematic voltage should follow the tube, though when you swap the tubes from side to side, the problematic triode will suddenly be flipped around so that the menacing triode will now be driving the output, not the second stage.

What are the non-stock tubes that you got?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Mmaxed

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 12:36:33 PM
Cryoed Reflector 6N23P-EV tubes.  They are marked 6H23A-ED Then under that 0185.  he "A" has no cross bar.

Pretty sure when I swapped them side to side yesterday, that the readings were the same on 27 & 31.

Is it save to put them back in and test again?

Are the lower volts I am now getting a problem?

Thanks so much for the help!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 12:47:24 PM
You won't really do "damage" by running them briefly in your Reduction, but it will not sound so great! 

I'd return them if you can.

The other voltages don't seem too menacing.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Mmaxed

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 12:55:10 PM
Thanks, I did not mean to actually run them, but just put them in long enough to do another test.  Swap them side to side to see if they both give the same results.

Offline Mmaxed

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 01:10:12 PM
Did another quick test.  Same results on term 27 & 31 even with swapping the Russian tubes.  Also noticed that with them in the LEDs between pins 8 & 9 on side B does not light up.  It does with the stock tubes.

Offline Mmaxed

Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:18:24 AM
OK, I have this solved.  After the events talked about in this thread I put the Reduction back in my system with the stock tubes.  Ran fine for a few weeks and the started sounding kinda thin and sterile for lack of a better description.  Then when I switched tables I lost the left channel.  Blamed it on the table and went into trouble shooting mode until I had narrowed it down to the Reduction.

Bottom line is when I put it on the bench yesterday after noon, it took me all of 30 seconds to discover that the bus wire that runs through pin 9 on the B side was not soldered at all to the socket pin.  The other wires there all had good solder but that one was just passing through.  Don't know why after looking at everything for hours a month ago I had missed that. :o

User error strikes again, but all is well now.  Went through all the resistance and voltage checks again.  All back to what they were the first time.  Best news is this thing sounds better than it ever has. 

Thanks to everyone at BH for the great products and support.  Looking forward to my next kit, wonder what it will be?