thinking of changing the layout

paulw · 8355

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
on: February 25, 2010, 10:20:54 AM
Got my Quickie kit today, but must say, even before I start, I'm thinking of re-arranging the layout to a more conventional one - switches at the front tubes behind, batteries in the middle (and underneath) and all the sockets at the back.  Obviously I'll need to cut a new top-plate, the wires won't reach and I'm easily confused ;-)  But all that aside is there any other reason not to try this?

I was going to up the chassis plate size to an 8x10 and use an old Foreplay III enclosure I've got.

Paul

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.

Offline machinehead

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:48:36 AM
Good idea, I was also thinking the next one I build would have the RCA's at the back, volume control in the front....

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:55:24 AM
Well, there is no power transformer to worry about, so the layout is somewhat flexible.  We patterned the layout to be a little bit of a throwback to the original Foreplay, and to minimize the amount of wiring that had to be done.  You can do all of that relocating, just be sure you have plenty of hookup wire available.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:23:35 PM
Well, there is no power transformer to worry about, so the layout is somewhat flexible.  We patterned the layout to be a little bit of a throwback to the original Foreplay, and to minimize the amount of wiring that had to be done.  You can do all of that relocating, just be sure you have plenty of hookup wire available.

Yes, I can appreciate the elegant simplicity of the layout, short routing between components....but I think I'll give it a go.  Can always rebuild as standard if I make a total mess of things, will try and cut a new top plate this weekend and see how it goes - as I suspect this will be the most challenging part!

Paul

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.