Any recommendations for a DIY DL-103 stepup?

Jim R. · 8278

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 01:45:08 AM
Jim,

I was comparing my Grado and my old Denon about a year ago.  I couldn't decide which I liked the better.  Each had its own presentation.  On my older albums, the ones I always played with the DL-103C, I liked the Denon better.  Maybe it is just because it was the way I remembered them.

Each brought different instruments to the forefront.  So I waffled back and fourth till I botched the Denon's cantilever.  Despite a report somewhere above this was the original cartridge from the mid 80s.  Still in good condition.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 04:37:19 PM
So, the denon 103R is here and I heard back from Cinemag and ordered a pair of the SUTs that PB recommended above. They are $51 each for standard grade and $75 for the same thing with select grade laminations -- slightly better performance below 200 hz. They also have a much higher end model that cost $175 each.

So, about 4 weeks lead time, by which time I should have my speakers and a couple of small mods to the sr-45 done and ready to go. Now I really must get going on this Eros!

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 07:32:22 AM
Jim,

I'm sitting here snowbound in NE Pennsylvania, listening to Kenny Burrell's 'Cool Cookin' with a chain that includes a DL-103R, a pair of Cinemag 3440A's at the 1:18 turn, 150 ohm tap, to a Seduction with the C4S upgrade, modestly upgraded caps and Russian surplus 6N23P-EB's, and I couldn't be happier. I'll wager that, with the Eros, you'll really enjoy your new setup.

Best,

Mike

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 10:33:17 AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, and given that I have or have had most of what's in your system, that's a pretty meaningful recommendation. I also just got a Merrill mat for my Kuzma table but unfortunately it will now be sometime mid January before my friend can come over and help me get this system setup and the cart aligned.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)