Any recommendations for a DIY DL-103 stepup?

Jim R. · 8337

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: October 09, 2013, 01:14:12 PM
I'm considering a dl-103 cart for my TT setup, at least for an audition and I really don't want to spend the bucks for an A23 SUT or Shindo until I know how the sound will work with my system.

I'm guessing that a lot of folks have had good results with the cinemags but which ones would be best for feeding the eros?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:11:04 PM
I think the DL-103 is a solid selection. 

It's spec'd at 0.3mV and wants a load impedance of 100 Ohms.  I'd go for more than a 1:10 and less than a 1:36, the 1:18 ratio offered by a 4722 on the 150 Ohm tap looks peachy. 

The Cinemag CMQEE-3440AHPC is the modern equivalent.  I'd ask for flying leads in the 3/8" bushing can (if they can do it), or at least the 2-bolt mounting system with flying leads. 

Don't expect these to be cheap! (If I had to guess, I'd imagine a pair could be more than $200)

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 02:22:42 PM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. I'll see if any of the peerless can be found but I'll also look into the cinemags. $200 is a deal compared to the a23 and shindo offerings :-).

Time to start poking around...

Thanks,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline vetmed

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:00 PM
I used a DL-103 until I wore it out ;D I used a pair of UTC A-11 that sounded very good and didn't cost a lot. 50,000 ohm secondary with a center tap, primary had 50, 200, and 500 ohms available. I used the 200 ohm tap with my Seduction and they worked well together. Will almost certainly be a lot cheaper than the Altecs, which have become very pricey :'(

Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 01:09:47 PM
That's good to know. I sent off for a price quote from Cinemag today so we'll see what they have to say.

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 07:29:57 PM
You can also use a pair of Beyerdynamic Mic transformer, which I'm using at the moment.
You can read about them also on JE's blog.
I've also tried UTC p11.
They both sound good to me.

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline meljackson

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 08:04:42 AM
I ran a DL-103 with a DIY SUT using a couple of Sowter 9580s, very happily for a couple of years. See http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/9580.htm [nofollow]
You can order directly from their web site.

I did not do a comparison to other setups at the time so I really cannot help with relative performance, but it was a good sounding combination.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 10:36:23 AM
Or you can use a very good headamp and have greater choices once you tire of the standard 103.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:20:32 AM
Hi Mel,

Thanks for that -- I'll have a look at those.

Hey Aaron, the dl-103R is already on the way and I'll probably build a box that has step-up and direct settings as I'm far more likely to go back to MM or MI if I don't stay with the denon, or maybe I'll try a modified 103r at some point.

Still no reply from Cinemag -- is this typical?

One thing about the denon that really appeals is that it looks like a very good match for the kuzma stogi-S arm.

-- Jim

Offline xcortes

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 12:51:25 PM
Just a caveat. The DL103 is a nice sounding cartridge. But when I compared it to my EMTs it sounds dull and lifeless. So don't assume that it's necessarily a good proxy of what you get with MCs.

A couple of years back Mike LaFevre sold some HK mike transformers supposed to sound very good. You could shoot him an email, maybe he still has a pair.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 01:46:32 PM
I would be inclined to agree with Xavier. But I don't think you are going to do any better for the price. The really great sounding MCs tend to cost great amounts of cash.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 02:05:34 PM
Dan said it, the good ones are pricey. The best sounding and nicest cart I've owned was a Lyra Kleos. If you take a moment to consider how much each record play is costing you vs. tip life the choice becomes obvious unless you have a good retipper or money to blow.  For me I was happy loosing 5-10% fidelity and found an MM that sounds great to my ears. 

I'll tell you that the cantilevers on the Denons suck and bend easy if you are not extremely careful with them. I ran Denons when I first started into vinyl and broke three before giving up on them and the damn arm they were on ;)  My problem was being clumsy but being aluminum they don't have much give to them.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 02:47:17 PM
Yes, I realize that there are plenty of other, probably better choices out there but in general, most MCs I've heard (many lyras, ortofon, clearaudio, allerts, etc.) are just a bit too much of a good thing.

Partially this is based on some feedback from another guy who has the speakers I'm getting who finds hs VDH Frog way too tipped up using his stereomour. Of course tthat's only a rought guide and may not be the situation for my room and associated gear, and ears.

And of course the 103 has been around forever and has a very good rep for being a really musical cart with good dynamics and soundstaging, and for the money it's always in the top tier for value.

Maybe once I get a motor speed controller and a solid brass platter for tthe kuzma, then I can look into moving up to something else, perahaps another ortofon 2m black -- fine MM sound, replaceable stylus/cantilever, etc.

And I still have the SAE 1000LT with the soundsmith level 2 rebuild.

And if worse comes to worse, the denon can find a new home on another table -- maybe for my sister in law.

In other words, I'm not looking for the end-all, be-all cart here, just something that is a good value, with emphasis on musicality without driving me out of the room with too much detail or a hot top end.

-- Jim

P.S. -- I do really appreciate the input - you guys rock!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 02:52:12 PM
You have entered the money pit which is vinyl playback my friend! Good luck finding your way back!  It's a downward spiral with diminishing returns. Best stop while you are ahead and I'm being serious!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 03:31:36 PM
Well, it's not like I haven't been here before :-). Yes, it pulled me back in... and at least I remember what sounded good to my ears, and I like the MMs more typically warm sound, so we'll see what happens.