coupling capacitors for the quickie

aragorn723 · 2939

Offline aragorn723

on: October 15, 2013, 03:49:19 PM
hi,

So my quickie is now on order, and I plan to build it stock first, but have plans to do a lot of upgrading too.  More than likely the first upgrade will be the caps-what is a good cap to use in terms of bang for the buck?  I have looked around and seen some caps in the $90 + range (each) and don't really want to spend that much (unless there is a really compelling reason in terms of sound quality!).  Where is a good place to start?  My music tends to be vocal oriented- Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Dido, Eva Cassidy..  But also instrumentals and popular music.  Do caps have a big impact on the tone of instruments?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:47:26 PM
Where is a good place to start?

I'd recommend starting with the stock caps.  There are plenty of "upgrade" caps that don't sound as good. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline charger

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:18:45 AM
are you talking about Mundorf ? becouse i mounted i pair of them , maybe it's better i go back ?

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

Offline corndog71

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:03:56 AM
It's always recommended to build it stock first for 2 reasons:

1. You're less likely to make mistakes.

2. It gives you a reference point for better understanding what any part changes actually accomplish.

Mundorfs are good caps from what I've read but I would still recommend keeping it stock for a couple weeks.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline mortron

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 10:38:16 AM
Sorry to Hijack, but I was wanting to try some coupling capacitors, and since the cap I want to try is only available in 2.0uf, is it possible to add two 0.1uf caps in parallel and get the 2.2uf? The caps are Obbligato film oil, and Vishay MKP1837 bypass.

Offline corndog71

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:47:10 AM
Sorry to Hijack, but I was wanting to try some coupling capacitors, and since the cap I want to try is only available in 2.0uf, is it possible to add two 0.1uf caps in parallel and get the 2.2uf? The caps are Obbligato film oil, and Vishay MKP1837 bypass.

It's not necessary to get exactly 2.2uF.  I'm not a fan of bypassing line level coupling caps although others may have a different opinion.  Those Vishay caps are cheap enough that you could try them if you really wanted to.  Otherwise the 2uF caps should be fine.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 11:08:53 AM
i've had positive results with various bypassing arrangements at the cathode bypass position in the quickie, (I believe i am using an elna silmic bypassed with auricap bypassed with russian PIO), but did not find any arrangement of multiple caps that I was satisfied with at the coupling position.  (I am using an ampohm tin foil PIO in this position)

Once I hit the sweet spot on what I was looking for in sound, I left it alone.  I don't plan on doing any more experimentation with this quickie, so I bought another one to have something to play with while I do my listening with the first.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 05:25:39 PM
Where is a good place to start?

I'd recommend starting with the stock caps.  There are plenty of "upgrade" caps that don't sound as good.

Thats surprising, what kind of caps are in the Quickie?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 06:37:10 PM
Metalized polypropylene. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 10:41:13 AM
You know, that's kind of interesting about the Quickie 1.1 caps.  I noticed that most of the "modified" Quickies are the original ones with the switch instead of the knob for the selector switch.  Are there still a good number of areas where the Quickie 1.1 could be upgraded?