Aja

azrockitman · 2458

Offline azrockitman

on: October 23, 2013, 09:51:34 AM
I added a modern day pressing of Steely Dan's Aja to my collection a few years ago...it was a Cisco release.   And I was always disappointed with the sound quality.  I presumed it was just my expectations running away with reality.

I discovered a record store this morning that I never knew about and they had a Mofi original master recording copy and I talked to the owner and told him my disappointment with my newer version and he assured me I wouldn't be disappointed with the Mofi copy, and I can say he was right.  This recording is night and day better than the Cisco version.   Very happy

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Chris

Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:46:18 AM
Nice.... A mofi is a MUST have...

Offline Yoder

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:37:47 PM
I will double the MOFI recommendation. I have always been impressed with their CD pressings and have not tried their vinyl yet, but soon will. Goes to show that you often get what you pay for, though I love the price of Fage yogurt at Costco.

Hah, my main "dish" is: one cup of organic frozen blue berries, a handful of pecans crushed in my hand, 3/4 to one cup of Fage non-fat yogurt, and a tablespoon of local honey. I zap the berries for 30 seconds in the microwave, mix everything together, and enjoy. I will eat 2-3 bowls a day. I get it all from Costco.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 03:54:22 PM
Some of the Mofi titles have been cut by my bro Paul Stubblebine. Sorry to say I'm not sure which ones. Perhaps the liner notes will indicate.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 04:15:30 PM
Seriously?  That's cool.  I'll look and see if his name is listed anywhere on the jacket

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline azrockitman

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 04:50:28 PM
Seriously?  That's cool.  I'll look and see if his name is listed anywhere on the jacket

He's not listed....they do list Gary Giorgi and Stan Ricker for the production and mastering.
But I guess this runs in the family, huh?.... ;)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:34:34 AM
I'm not aware if Paul is on the board.  It would be interesting if Dan or Paul would post a list of those Paul mastered. 

I have been collecting MOFI since they went big commercial in the 70s (I didn't know about the train and rain albums till much later).

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:28:31 AM
That is an older release as Stan passed away a while back. Paul has done some cutting work for Mofi in the past three or four years.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.