Battery Pack Update

mortron · 1073

Offline mortron

on: October 24, 2013, 01:25:33 PM
So a while ago I took a gamble on making a battery pack out of AA batteries... There was a thread where i believe Paul mentioned the AA cell being on sale at costco, and making a cell from them could be a good idea. I managed to find a sale on AA's and gave it a shit. I bundled them and fashioned conductive strips to wire them in series. It measure appropriately but did not work. My friend suggested my strips were shoddy and that was why. So I bought four 6 battery holders and 9v connectors to make some 9v cells... They too did not work :(

Then I realized when using the connector as a battery side connector, you must flip the polarity!!! So now I have a working pack and it sounds great...

Fast forward several months and almost a set of D cells later (1.3v now), and the packs individually still measure 8.7v each  :D This looks like a good deal to me given that the 48 pack of batteries at Home Depot was only $10... So I still have another set. Granted, rechargeable a are likely more sustainable, it's quite nice knowing that for $10 one should get many, many hours out of their investment. Recommended to anyone who scoffs at the price of regular 9v batteries and their life cycle.