Moondance Times 3

Grainger49 · 2071

Offline Grainger49

on: October 28, 2013, 11:32:28 AM
I just read a review that there are 3 different levels of Remastered Moondance Albums coming out. 

First is a single disk Moondance, just Remastered, more lush, they say.

Second an Expanded edition, an extra CD.  It samples alternative takes.

Then, finally, there is the Deluxe Edition that has 5 CDs.  It shows how songs evolved before "Cousin Van" was happy with the mixes.  This includes an unreleased "gem," I Shall Sing, including 6 takes and the final (unreleased) version. 

As much as a fan as I am of Van Morrison, I couldn't listen to 7 versions of a song that did not make it to the final pressing.

Thoughts?

Offline denti alligator

Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 12:11:18 PM
Not interested, personally, if only because I think Moondance pales in comparison with the sublime Astral Weeks. Now there's an album I would pay to hear multiple alternate takes of.

I wonder if the remaster was done well, though.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline azrockitman

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 01:03:47 PM
I tend to agree.  As a comparative note, as much of a Beatles fan as I am/was, 99% of the stuff that wasn't released......wasn't released for a reason.  Yeah, some of the outtakes and alternate versions are fun to hear, but I've only played the Anthology set once.  Maybe I'll play it again before I croak but don't bet on it.   :)    I'm sure one of two of the alt versions of the Van Morrison music will have interest, but to me, not likely worth the price of admission.

Remastering and "lush" sounds great though.   ;)

Most music by most artists is a "sculpted" piece of work.  (yes, not all artists and all music...sometimes it's stream of consciousness type work....but most is crafted together)   If the "Sculptor" didn't finish it, or scrapped it for a different version, generally speaking, unless someone stole the masters on the way to pressing and they were lost forever, I tend to respect the fact that the artist didn't release those versions for a reason and don't have too much interest in hearing it. 

Interesting to read this though.  Thanks

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 01:16:11 PM
Moondance occupies a point in my early 20s where I clicked with Van Morrison.  So I like the idea of an improved version.  Only one CD for me.

I didn't hear Astral Weeks until recently.  I'm still warming to it.

Offline Yoder

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 02:16:05 PM
I would jump on a remastered "Moondance" without hesitation, forget the 5 disk set and extra cuts. Have been a fan of Van since the very early days, and saw him in a small club/bar in 1972 called the "Lions Share" in San Anselmo, CA. He had his regular band, and a five piece horn section. On the album "Hardnose the Highway" he sings of "snow in San Anselmo..." I remember the snow quite well, and though I lived near Pismo Beach about 250 miles south of SF we still got our inch of snow. Quite a treat for me, since I had never seen snow before (yea, us beach bums...what can I say.)

Anyway, Van is the man for me. So much so, that we named our one daughter Iris Moondance.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 02:35:02 PM
I just read a review that there are 3 different levels of Remastered Moondance Albums coming out. 

First is a single disk Moondance, just Remastered, more lush, they say.

Second an Expanded edition, an extra CD.  It samples alternative takes.

Then, finally, there is the Deluxe Edition that has 5 CDs.  It shows how songs evolved before "Cousin Van" was happy with the mixes.  This includes an unreleased "gem," I Shall Sing, including 6 takes and the final (unreleased) version. 

As much as a fan as I am of Van Morrison, I couldn't listen to 7 versions of a song that did not make it to the final pressing.

Thoughts?

Grainger, I bought the "EXPANDED" version from HDTracks. I havent had a chance to sit down for a listen yet. In fact I still need to FTP it over to my music server. That should happen in the next day or so. I'll most likely "go under the headphones" for my first listen. I'll let you know what I think. I felt like the two disc option was a happy medium. As Goldilocks once said, "just right."