Something new is coming

Doc B. · 29576

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 02:44:44 AM
Aahh, take me back in time...

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 01:55:18 PM
A.) A small, single tube, battery powered iPod dock to drive those low-z headphones.

B.) Asingle tube, battery powered white noise generator for we chronic insomniacs.  in the group. :-)

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 04:21:10 PM
well, nobody guessed it. But I do think this kit is going to be a winner. Crack is an OTL headphone amplifier - very simple and inexpensive - that will have optional upgrades as soon as we get the basic kits together and shipping. It's really, really good with high impedance headphones and only $199. American made power trans designed by PJ, American old stock tubes, American made chassis.

(http://www.bottlehead.com/sc_images/products/442_image.jpg)

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=44&rn=442&action=show_detail

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 04:25:59 PM
Sign me up!

Sounds really cool and the price is right.  Any details of which tube (s)?  Hoping it will be something I have lots of :D.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 04:32:13 PM
Tubes are 12AU7 and 6AS7/6080

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 05:25:39 PM
After messing around with my Quickie sans OPT's, using larger (electrolytic) coupling caps and some high-impedance phones, I secretly hoped BH would someday come out with something OTL that would put out enough juice to power big headphones. Looks like my wish has been fulfilled! Count me in for this one.

I can't wait to hear what this sounds like with my Beyers - I love tubes, but am not a fan of transformers!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 06:11:56 PM
Thanks for the orders!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 06:19:09 PM
PS - please add a button for the BH badge in your new ordering system. I sent an extra $6 separately for a badge since I didn't see them on the new ordering page.....

Offline Paully

Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 03:43:05 AM
I have absolutely no need for one, and yet something tells me I am going to have one.  I must, I need!

Offline Paully

Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 03:44:47 AM
By the way, I love the write up!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 04:35:12 AM
PS - please add a button for the BH badge in your new ordering system. I sent an extra $6 separately for a badge since I didn't see them on the new ordering page.....

That would be a great idea for every product page.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 05:01:08 AM
I know I will regret asking, I am in danger of becoming an addict:

Has it been tried with low sensitivity AKG 240Monitor phones? The autoformer Quickie works with my 240M cans, but just barely.     

Kevin R-M

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 05:52:16 AM
I haven't had a chance to try AKG240s, as my pair was donated to the studio several years ago. We have used 300 ohm Sennheisers and they can easily be driven way too loud. So Crack should work very nicely with 600 ohm AKGs. A high impedance headphone is the intended mate to this circuit, and my guess is you can probably deliver about 1/2W into them. The headphone mod concept for the Quickie was done simply to show how one can do some pretty unconventional stuff to a $99 kit. It works, but it's not the original intended usage of the kit. The output trans mod rather drastically reduces the relatively low gain and it's probably going to work best with low impedance headphones that are more sensitive.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 06:40:20 AM
Damn.  Just bartered my last nice pair of 12au7s, and sold the last of my 6as7s over a year ago (had bought them, ironically enough, to build a headphone amp :-). )

I'll be placing my order shortly!

-- Jim

Offline vanofmonks

Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 06:46:18 AM
Just ordered mine.  Happy birthday to me.  If I can get it by 3/17 that would be awesome.  Has anyone come up with a crossfeed circuit for it yet?