The Fix

Doc B. · 21155

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 09:39:13 AM
Paul,
I've purchased one for my Frugal Horns,  I also have a pair of SeXy Speakers, will the settings overlap the BSC previously put out for the SeXy speakers so I can remove my inline one?
Alonzo

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 07:53:12 PM
I've gotta chime in here one more time to say that I've tried out alot of caps for high frequency tasks like single component tweeter crossovers with some super high end Fostex drivers (FE208ES-R and T90A-EX).  I eventually abandoned the tweeters, BSC, or, really, any treble adjustment because I couldn't find a cap, resistor, l-pad, etc. that sounded "right" for the tweeter. 

That is, until I heard The Fix with the Orcas.  The sound of those polystyrene caps doing their job at the line level was so effortless and transparent that I just don't see a way of getting a tweeter to work out as well unless it was way higher end than even the T90A-EX or something.  Paper cone highs can sound really natural and smooth, but are always locked in exactly the same proportion with the rest of the fullrange driver and/or often become directional the larger you go in cone diameter.  Metal tweeters just tend to sound, well, metallic to me no matter what, and ribbons are nice, clean and sound really "deep" to me in a good way, but seem to outpace most of the direct radiator woofers that they are mated to.  Overall, there are so many compromises out there.  I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that I think it is really tough to "tweet." 

The Fix is a really compelling tweak for me as an FR guy because I can just get more highs from my favorite driver if I needed to.  For that matter, its great for anyone who needs a different frequency response from any old speaker, Orcas or otherwise.  For instance, for speakers with the "bad sounding" kind of speaker level HF and LF boosts, you could zero those out, and use The Fix instead...  Lots of possibilities.  I really wish I had The Fix back when I was listening to Fostex 6" ers - Fantastic drivers in many respects but rolled off in the highs to my ears.

Cheers!

-Clark
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:55:56 PM by Clark B. »

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 04:09:19 PM
Will this be out (delivered) in December?  I anticipate another government shutdown come January so I'm lining up my projects...

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 06:21:46 PM
..., will the settings overlap the BSC previously put out for the SeXy speakers so I can remove my inline one?
Alonzo
Yes indeed, it is the same circuit except for having more control. Even for the SEXy, I strongly recommend trying all the settings to find what works best in your room. (Also the Fix has some pretty nice caps, chosen by PB.)

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 05:20:59 AM
We are waiting for some parts to arrive and then the guys will shoot the manual. Once that is ready we will begin shipping, probably in a week or two.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 05:56:40 AM
I'm looking forward to the comments from the community when this is released. I'm especially interested in how they work with Orca's. I personally don't think that the Orca's need Baffle Step Correction like my former speakers (SEXy). However I'm currently set up in a "sonically challenged" room. I'm thinking that "The Fix" might be able to correct some of my room anomalies that I'm unable to solve with room treatments. It certainly is a very affordable way to find out.

Offline pendergast

Reply #36 on: December 25, 2013, 05:26:21 AM
Hi,

This seems quite interesting. Somehow, it reminds me a bit of this design used on old Quad preamps. I may be wrong on this though.

So my actual set-up is a SEX purchased and built in 2006 (I suppose that is a 2.0?) which had an iron upgrade (aka "enhanced SEX"). The amp is connected to a pair of Fostex 206 ES-R (http://www.einklang-audio.com/treiber/fostex/fe206esr.pdf).

Now, the lower frequencies of the Fostex are decreasing 'seriously' at 200 Hz (see attached tech document). I have connected a subwoofer driver (an Augie Silver Iris) to compensate for the lack of bass.

So if I understand correctly, using The Fix, I could go as far as changing the cut-off frequency of the Augie to a lower level because I might raise the lower frequencies db on the Fostex'?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #37 on: December 25, 2013, 05:33:42 AM
I'd set the Fix on the widest baffle setting and +4dB of BSC.  This should certainly help with your setup.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #38 on: December 26, 2013, 11:56:32 AM
The linked specifications are probably with an IEC standard baffle, which is a largish open baffle, and driven by an amp with a very high damping factor. If you have an enclosure, it will significantly alter the response below 200Hz; the usual design goal is to make it flat to as low a frequency as possible.

Paul Joppa

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #39 on: July 06, 2014, 02:25:00 PM
I'm thinking that "The Fix" might be able to correct some of my room anomalies that I'm unable to solve with room treatments. It certainly is a very affordable way to find out.

Dear Natural Sound; If you got a "FIX" could you report on how your Orcas responded to the corrections available?

Cheers, Hank