Wire Gauge Question

serpent68 · 1917

Offline serpent68

on: November 10, 2013, 11:16:02 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am eagerly waiting to receive my crack + speedball kit within this week.

I'm thinking of changing the internal wiring to 7N solid core silver for my build.  The local store has a variety of wire gauge that I can choose from.  What gauge should I choose? Would a higher gauge (24 awg) be sufficient for the crack? I believe the stock wire is 20 awg solid core?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 01:12:40 AM
Wire gauge translates into current carrying capability.  As the number gets larger the wire gets smaller, lower current.

#24 AWG should carry all the current in a Crack.  It is so small that the NEC doesn't list it.  The smallest I find is #18 which is good for 18A in free air.  That is the chart that would be used.  I can't imagine that #24 couldn't carry an amp or three.

Since you are pondering changing wire, don't go with stranded unless you are an experienced builder.

Offline serpent68

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:34:19 AM
Thanks Grainger.

I read that different gauge wire have different sonic attributes, that too large a gauge will roll off the highs.. not sure how true is that.  Anyone with experience on this?

Good advice about the solid core.  I have zero experience with soldering, so I need all the help I can get. 

Cheers.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 04:18:49 AM
I mostly have thin gauge interconnects.  I have not made any comparisons.

Offline corndog71

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 04:24:45 AM
For internal wiring of a kit 24AWG-18AWG is fine.  The differences heard in various wires come down to many factors but are typically a product of the metal used, the insulation, and shielding or geometry.  Bigger isn't always better.

Try to remember the effects of wire on a given system are very subjective and tend to be quite subtle.  Adding a little high quality wire to your kit may bring some positive effects but generally won't make a huge difference.  Of course I encourage you to experiment and listen for yourself.  Just don't expect a miraculous change.  Also, keep in mind that not everyone hears exactly the same due to varying levels of damage to one's hearing.

In all honesty there's a great deal of debate out there when it comes to wires.  Many consider the science of the subject case closed while others feel we haven't figured out how to measure everything yet.  I try to keep an open mind.  But then it was hearing the difference between 2 cables that got me into this hobby.  So I'm a little biased. ;)

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline serpent68

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 05:13:37 AM
Thanks for your input.  I'm all hyped up about my first build, and want to sprinkle a little extra to the crack.  After reading all the glowing reviews, I'm really getting myself excited to find out how it sounds with my beyer T90.  I'm currently using the Schitt Lyr.

Since this is my first build, I probably won't be too adventurous to swap different wires to try out :) I'll just give the 24 gauge silver wire a go and hope for the best.

Cheers!