2a3 or 45 for midrange horn

versus rider · 1632

Offline versus rider

on: November 11, 2013, 04:11:26 AM
Hi all, looking to build my first valve amp. The Stereomour  seems the obvious choice for 118db compression driven horn and the 45 valve in particular. I really only need less than 1 watt for over 100 db at the listening position. Most people describing the sound of 2a3 and 45 are running full range, I have no interest in frequencies below 350hz  and above 1800hz so what valve to use

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:23:35 AM
It's a very easy experiment to do. Easiest is to wire it for the 45, then just swap the tube - this will give you a taste of the 2A3 "sound" even though the power won't be quite as much as if the amp were optimized for the 2A3. Then if you like the 2A3, just add the missing resistors and it's a 2A3 amp.

Paul Joppa

Offline versus rider

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 02:09:15 AM
Thanks Paul, I had paramour 2a3's before and they sounded great but it's been some time so wouldn't remember anything specific. Is there anything optional that would suit a compression driver and running only midrange frequencies. The horns are permanent so a specific amp would not be used eleswhere

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 03:32:07 AM
I have never heard a 45 in that narrow a range.  My impression has been that some of the most beautiful sounding amplifiers have been 45 outputs.  For some reason the voices seem to be more lifelike.  The sound seems effortless (with the right speaker and you have the right speaker). 

My brain is still trying to wrap around the changes from 300B to 2A3 to 45 but as the power goes down the magic comes out.  And a 45 shouldn't sound effortless, but it does.  That makes no sense to me at all.