Cracked 4-Pin Socket: A Problem?

Evan · 1266

Offline Evan

on: November 13, 2013, 12:14:51 PM
I am working through my Stereomour build and I had an issue with one of the 4-pin sockets not fitting into the hole cut into the top plate. On closer inspection I noticed the socket is cracked on the top between two of the pin holes. The crack does not go all the way through the ceramic to the backside, but it does go at least half way through. I inserted a tube into the socket and it was gripped firmly and didn't cause any apparent additional cracking.

My concern is the long term durability of the socket, particularly as it heats and cools. I would just like to make sure this won't be a long term problem before I start grinding out the socket opening in the top plate in order to install the socket.
Thanks, Evan

Stereomour => SEOS Fusion 12 Tempest

Crack => Senn HD600

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 06:39:41 PM
I think you'll be OK using this socket.  It would require that the current crack migrates through the socket, and that two other cracks form to allow a chunk to fall out, then the socket would fail.

The 4 pin sockets in the Steremour and Paramount are particularly easy to replace in the case that something does happen down the road.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man