Break-in time

dacatchpole · 3205

Offline dacatchpole

on: November 16, 2013, 05:26:39 PM
I recently completed the Reduction kit (first diy effort) and the build went well. I wanted to see if there is a generally accepted break-in time? I have approx. 20-25 hours on the unit and it has seemed to plateau, but there still seems to be a slight veiling and homogeneity to the sound (especially noticeable on woodwinds). Is this something that I can expect to dissipate with time and, if not, what changes/upgrades would you suggest to address this?

Also, I want to congratulate the Bottlehead team on a really well put together kit. The instructions were easy to follow and it was a lot of fun to do.

Offline corndog71

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 05:49:33 PM
Give it 100 hours and if you're still not satisfied then try some different tubes.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline ffivaz

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:09:21 PM
Yes. And as always with BH kits, the best upgrade is the house upgrade : Integration.

Fabien Fivaz

Thorens TD 160, Denon DL-110, Hagerman Piccolo 2, Reduction (w/ Integration), 2A3 Stereomour, Fostex FE126En in Bk12m enclosures
Halide DAC HD, Crack (w/ Speedball), Sennheiser HD 650

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 01:47:23 AM
I would agree with Rob.  But if you still hear veiling at 50+ hours order some of the USSR Military surplus tubes.  They are clear and well detailed.  Not to mention the extra bracing makes them less microphonic, and I think adds to the depth/width of the soundstage.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 07:20:30 AM
I would agree with Rob.  But if you still hear veiling at 50+ hours order some of the USSR Military surplus tubes.  They are clear and well detailed.  Not to mention the extra bracing makes them less microphonic, and I think adds to the depth/width of the soundstage.

It's funny you mention this, as these are what we have been shipping the kits with lately.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:49:38 AM
Hmm, must be something else.  I really love mine in my Eros.  Loved them in my Seduction too.

Offline ffivaz

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:00:57 PM
I was just thinking that you're veiling is maybe coming from a bad match between your cartridge and the Reduction. BH says that the Reduction has been designed for carts with around 5mV of output. I have a denon dl 110 HOMC. With an output of around 2mV, it was a little bit on the low side with the stock 36db gain. It's far better with the Integration and its 40db of gain. Maybe it's also a loading problem. The Reduction has a 47k input impedance. Some carts prefer lower loading, for instance though a step-up transformer, and it affects the sound.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:39:42 PM by ffivaz »

Fabien Fivaz

Thorens TD 160, Denon DL-110, Hagerman Piccolo 2, Reduction (w/ Integration), 2A3 Stereomour, Fostex FE126En in Bk12m enclosures
Halide DAC HD, Crack (w/ Speedball), Sennheiser HD 650

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 06:13:44 AM
IMHO any critical listening should only come after approx 100 hours of break in time.

Are you using the Integration upgrade? Constant current sources make a big difference in the areas you mentioned. Especially in phono pre-amps.

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php/products/integration-upgrade-for-reduction-phono-preamp