240V Foreplay I Transformer (Black Arts Audio)

andrewcooke · 2530

Offline andrewcooke

on: November 21, 2013, 04:57:30 PM
Hi,

Email to Black Arts Audio http://www.jeack.com.au/~lucas/ [nofollow] is bouncing, and the site doesn't seem to have been updated in a few years (I hope he is OK).

So does anyone know where I could get a 240V Foreplay I transformer?  Bottlehead don't sell these, but used to recommend Black Arts.

Thanks.
Andrew

PS I would also be interested in buying someone's old transformer if they have a 240V foreplay I they no longer use!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:03:29 PM
I think you could use two of the original power transformers with the primaries in series, provided you went totally dual-mono with the power supply and kept the current balance pretty tight between the two.

PJ would have some good thoughts on any risks associated with doing something like this.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 06:15:06 PM
We used to suggest the Hammond 369AX, which requires a change to a FWCT power supply (from FWB originally) but does have a 230v/50Hz primary.

I wouldn't go the series route because of the risk that any failure of one channel would spike the voltage on the other, killing too many other components. It would be a bear to debug any time anything went wrong.

If you can find a small 230:120v stepdown, it might fit on the chassis along with the original, and would give doubled power line isolation - that could be a good thing.

Paul Joppa

Offline andrewcooke

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:23:02 PM
Thanks; I could probably find a stepdown.

The foreplay is already built, so I'd rather change it as little as possible.  Are the original 120V transformers still available?

(I originally bought a kit without transformer, and a transformer from Black Arts, which arrived damaged; ten(?) years later I am seeing what I can salvage).

Andrew

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 07:42:17 AM
The original transformer can be purchased here.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 08:32:32 AM
Note, the above linked transformer is a 6.3V heater, so it requires a little rewiring of the heater wires on a FP 1 which was 12.6V.

No doubt PB overlooked the title that says FP 1.  He knows better. 

I'm not sure if there are any more differences between the FP 1 and FP 2 other than the heater voltage.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 10:03:52 AM
Ah, yes, good call on the 12V to 6V conversion.  It has been a long time since I've even looked at a Foreplay I.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 12:44:31 PM
The original was (IIRC) something that Antique Electronic Supply carried. Here's the current offering, similar enough to work:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/search/node/p-t442

Paul Joppa

Offline andrewcooke

Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 08:55:36 AM
Thanks guys!