4 to 14U revision - lower noise floor

Mak33 · 1216

Offline Mak33

on: November 23, 2013, 08:08:02 AM
Greetings,

This topic is based around the following Crack Manual revision, which Doc has set as a Sticky:

Page 19 -  you could change 2" wire from power trans terminal 4 to 22L at the bottom of the page to 3" and connect it to terminal 14U rather than 22L. It will work either way, but this may give a slightly lower noise floor. (This is mostly correct after 4/26 but manuals labeled 4/26/10 say mistakenly 15U rather than 14U)

I have not seen any feedback or confirmation regarding this revision so I am simply posting my findings.  As it states in Doc's post, this was corrected in mid-2010 so anyone who purchased a crack after that point should already have this implemented.

As far as results go, I did in fact notice a lower noise floor.  When wired at 4 to 22L, noise used to be audible at around 9-10 O'clock (zero vol @ 6 O'clock).  However, this point as now shifted due to wiring 4 to 14L (U was very crowded) and I cannot hear noise until 12-1 O'clock.

So there you have it, for what it's worth.  Try it if you'd like... And again most of you who purchased the Crack amp in the last 3 years should already have this implemented.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:09:41 AM by Mak33 »