Blumenstein Orcas just went to the next level

vrgard · 2232

Offline vrgard

on: November 30, 2013, 07:26:40 AM
I've been running my Orcas with single matching (pre-Dungeness) subwoofer setup (driven by a Bottlehead Stereomour amp) for about 6 months now.  And have been enjoying them all along.  But they just moved to another level causing me to appreciate them even more.  Here's the story.

My wife just replaced the rug in the living room where the Orcas play.  Before that, the Orcas' stands were either completely on the rug or straddling the edge of the rug such that their rear feet were on the hardwood floor.  With the new rug, all four feet of each stand are now off the rug and on the floor.

Suddenly, the sound is tighter, more focused, and with greater lower end support coming from the Orcas.  At first I thought it was just wishful thinking but I kept noticing the difference throuout the day as I listened to different tracks.

At this point, having run the Orcas & Stereomour regularly over the past 6 months, I should be way past any break-in point.  So I'm guessing the difference I'm hearing is solely attributable to (finally) having given the stands a more solid foundation.  And I suppose, in retrospect, that this was completely foreseeable.  But damn, the difference is so wonderful that I'm sitting here grinning like a little kid on Christmas morning surveying his newfound wealth.

Sorry for the hyperbole.  I'm just a happy camper and wanted to share this.  And I guess to say that if the stands for your Orcas are on a rug or carpet, consider moving them off or at least adding spikes to their feet or something to better couple them to the floor.  It clearly made a difference in my setup.

-Randy

Offline Chris

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:06:45 PM
Good stuff....