Battery PS Heaven

q · 32805

Offline q

on: October 19, 2009, 01:17:55 AM
To be honest I wasn't expecting this level of performance. I am glad I ordered 2 of them for sure.
Thanks to you all for this insanely easy awesome product. The tubes need some vibration control which is an easy fix. This problem was greatly reduced by me digging out my old Misson Iso-plat. Thought I'd never use the silly thing again, glad I didn't toss it. Sometimes it's good to be a pack rat?!
Any way here she is resting in the Foreplay 3 surround

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi37.tinypic.com%2F313lu2f.jpg&hash=3bda45c23a74f4f2a0b969780520ecae42776206)

The Foreplay needs another round of trouble shooting. I didn

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:31:00 AM
I'm convinced, without an audition, the magic is in the power supply having no AC.  Just my gut feeling.  I use an Ack! dAck! that uses +/-12V batteries for the power supply.  It is very open and clean.

BTW, nice build and a great dog!

Offline q

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:55:29 AM
I'm convinced, without an audition, the magic is in the power supply having no AC.  Just my gut feeling.  I use an Ack! dAck! that uses +/-12V batteries for the power supply.  It is very open and clean.

Agreeeeeed! I've tried differant PS fro the Charlize amps and hands down the SLA batteries are the best
Now if there was a battery power amp/with glass...hehehe                       

That's Bear is she says thank you ..ah oh dogs talking to me again, time for my meds
q

Offline Len

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:41:07 AM
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:49:39 AM by Len »

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites
Heavily modded Soul Sister and Groove Thang
Quickie modded to active low pass filter
Quickie modded to headphone amp
Lots of Bottlehead parts used for building other stuff

Offline q

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:23:48 AM
Wow thanks so much for sharing
It will take a noob like me awhile to digest this info and when you get a chance some pics would help (went to California Public School so I do better with pictures). 127hz is almost perfect for the B200's and the Auggies. I could probably dial them in with more width across the B200's. Oh no more baffle building
thx again can't thank you enough
q

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:04:03 AM
I'm convinced, without an audition, the magic is in the power supply having no AC.  Just my gut feeling.  I use an Ack! dAck! that uses +/-12V batteries for the power supply.  It is very open and clean.

A big part of the magic is also, IMO, that the tubes are directly heated.  The batteries seem to really polish that off, as there is no complicated and expensive DC supply, although the modification bug is hitting me, and I think I am going to build a Quickie in the coming weeks with an AC power supply, just to do it.

-Paul

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:49:23 AM
I will be eagerly awaiting your report on the AC PS.

Offline Len

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:40:48 AM
... when you get a chance some pics would help

Not a problem. It's nice when others duplicate my mistakes :-)

I'll try to get to it next weekend, though it may take another weekend if things get hectic.

This is for low pass only. I'm taking out the high pass portion, since I want my Lowthers to run full range. I'll need to drop the LP frequency later on to between 80 and 100 Hz, but by then maybe I'll have the adjustable setup. If you want a full crossover, you'll need 2 quickies (maybe on one chassis?). I can send you schematics for both with the pics.

The chokes could be hard to find. I got mine from Heybour or something like that. I'll look it up if you need it.

Hopefully, we can contact each other through an email function here.

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:45:29 AM
You should be able to Private Message (PM) any other poster here by clicking on his/her Moniker.  Then exchange email addresses.

Offline q

Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 12:48:50 PM
[[/quote]

This is for low pass only. I'm taking out the high pass portion, since I want my Lowthers to run full range. I'll need to drop the LP frequency later on to between 80 and 100 Hz, but by then maybe I'll have the adjustable setup. If you want a full crossover, you'll need 2 quickies (maybe on one chassis?). I can send you schematics for both with the pics.

The chokes could be hard to find. I got mine from Heybour or something like that. I'll look it up if you need it.

Hopefully, we can contact each other through an email function here.

[/quote]

Great minds think alike mate!
I love the B200's to run fullrange. The system I have the Quickie in is not my best system. My best drivers is a pair of Hawthorne Audio Sterling's and they need to run full range. Basically all of the fullrange drivers i've tried are best when they are allowed to run unfiltered
AN8's Hawthorne Siver Irises Fostex FE166E etc.
thx
q

Offline Len

Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 03:32:00 PM
... when you get a chance some pics would help

I hope this pic comes through. It's 128K worth of my original sketch.

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites

Offline Len

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 03:35:03 PM
You should be able to Private Message (PM) any other poster here by clicking on his/her Moniker.  Then exchange email addresses.

Thanks Grainger. I found it after you let me know to search for it.

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 04:22:11 PM

Guess I should point out that you must leave the high-pass section in if you want to retain the 500 ohm impedance as presented to the source (Quickie). You don't have to use it - go ahead and take the output to the fullrange in parallel with the input. But the highpass section acts like a Zobel to keep the impedance of the whole crossover constant.

As shown, the lowpass 500 ohm load will pull the Quickie output down about 3-4dB in the bass, but unload it above the crossover for full output. So there will be a modest shelving filter going to the fullrange.

Paul Joppa

Offline Len

Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 03:23:41 AM

Guess I should point out that you must leave the high-pass section in if you want to retain the 500 ohm impedance as presented to the source (Quickie). You don't have to use it - go ahead and take the output to the fullrange in parallel with the input. But the highpass section acts like a Zobel to keep the impedance of the whole crossover constant.

As shown, the lowpass 500 ohm load will pull the Quickie output down about 3-4dB in the bass, but unload it above the crossover for full output. So there will be a modest shelving filter going to the fullrange.

Thanks Paul!

It's still sitting on my bench at home, so I can put the high pass section back in.

The shelving effect is the reason for the Quickie. I get to boost the low end back up using the Quickie, which goes to Paraglow II's, and send the full range to the Excite II's, which go to the lowther front horns. As a bonus I get to adjust the low end for different listening volumes. Speaker leads from the Paraglow II's to the pi cornerhorns get swapped, since the Quickie inverts (since it's only one triode stage). I hope I'm getting this right.

I guess then an adjustable low pass using an autoformer would be pretty complex.

Thanks again for trying to keep me out of trouble.

EDIT: Oh! I missed that you said there is a shelving that goes to the LOWTHERS! That actually should help pull a little load of the paper cones and add some clarity. I was assuming you meant that the low passed signal was cut by about 3.5db, which was the reason for the Quickie. Still, it all works.

Do you have room here for a short explanation of why the full range output gets a drop below the LP frequency?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:28:59 AM by Len »

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites

Offline Len

Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 03:20:26 PM

Paramours
Paraglows